Mini VS. iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nickos94, Dec 2, 2011.

1. nickos94 macrumors newbie

So I'm planning on buying a desktop mac sometime in the first few months of next year. I have a macbook pro as of a few months ago and I've loved it, and I want a desktop mac.

I would be using it for iTunes, Safari, Web Development (Dreamweaver/FireWorks), some sound recording with Garageband, and less demanding games like Minecraft and/or CoD 2. If I got a mac mini I would run a 1980x1200 resolution on it. I am not sure if I should get a Mac Mini+Monitor, or an iMac 21.5 or 27 inch. Also some suggestions for nice looking monitors for a Mac Mini would be most helpful! Thanks!

2. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

What is it about your MBP that you can't do? i.e. you could just buy a monitor to use with that.

3. nickos94 thread starter macrumors newbie

My MBP has an SSD, so it can't hold my iTunes library since it's only 128GB. Plus I would like to replace my current Windows Desktop with a Mac desktop.

4. hobbbz macrumors 6502a

hobbbz

You could buy the TB Display and keep an HD attached to it.

5. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

I'd probably go with the iMac. In most cases the mini will be less powerful than the MBP.

6. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

When it is time for you to buy a desktop, the iMac will be probably upgraded. Thus, you can make your final decision after the next upgrade of the iMac.

7. seedidea macrumors newbie

I went through this last winter. Decided on iMac because all in one, integrated hardware, less clutter, better monitor, but most importantly more power than mini. More cost though.

8. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

get the iMac 27inch lower end model

the mac mini will be as powerful as your mbp because it has the same processor

also it will be noticeably slower then ur mbp because it doesn't have a ssd

the iMac will be again not as fast due to lack of sad but the processor will be noticeably faster not to mention you get a 1tb hd and a graphics are that is still bad but can actually handle a game