Mini vs. iPad3 (refurb) vs. iPad4

Discussion in 'iPad' started by grizzy, Oct 23, 2012.

1. grizzy macrumors member

This will be our first tablet and will be mainly for surfing, apps (games), and movies (in the car and traveling). Our 6yo boy will be using it plenty.

Before today's announcement the budget was around $450-$500. I figured I'd just jump on a 32g wifi mini but obviously the 4 is tempting. BUT, for our usage, do we even need to pay the premium for the "new & improved"?

Now, I'm really leaning towards a 64gb, refurbished, ipad 3. I imagine it will do everything and more that we want. The extra space would be great to rip tons of our sons movies to for long car rides/travel.

Thoughts? Insight on specs for our needs?

Thanks in advance!

2. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I know people are going think I'm a jerk for saying this. But for what you are looking for, I would seriously give a look at the Google Nexus 7 tablet before putting money down on any iPad.

The "rumors" say that Google is going to be launching a 32GB tablet. The 16GB tablet will drop down in price to $199.

You could get two 16GB Google tablets for your budget of $450-$500 and still have money left over for apps.

Plus, the Google Nexus 7, while only being WiFi, have GPS built in. I have not seen anything to indicate that the WiFi versions of the iPad (mini or full) have built-in GPS).

So you could get one for the six year old and one for yourself. If your six year old breaks his, you are only out $200.

3. Scott2345 macrumors regular

I've been thinking the same, I was gonna get the mini but I'm leaning on the 32GB iPad 3 refurb

4. grizzy thread starter macrumors member

Now why'd you have to go and make things more difficult! :)

I looked at the FireHD and N7 but was very underwhelmed with their app selection. Several games and shows, that our 6yo already uses on our iPhones, are nowhere to be found.

I want Apple.