Mini vs Mafia 2

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Jynitor, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Jynitor macrumors newbie

I recently got my Mini i7. Added 16GB RAM and OWC SSD. I want a "mini pro" :)

It seems the mini runs quite fast. Then i installed the Mafia 2 game, hoping, to enjoy nice graphics, but nope, it struggles on anything above medium settings. I sort of hoped it could do better, but i might accept, that even top spec mini isnt enough for 2 year old game. But, when i run the benchmark test within the game, the info says "Intel HD Graphics 3000", but mini has the "AMD Radeon HD 6630M". Should i be worried that i have some frankenstein mini or could it just be a glitch in the game that assumes mini=IntelHD?

pic: http://janitors.lv/kMpn

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Click on the apple logo (upper left), then about this mac.

3. Jynitor thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, i know. The added screenshot is from About. I know it has the AMD, i'm just wondering why the game doesn't think so...

4. theRAMman macrumors regular

dont quote me on this but i belive there is a download you can get where you can select the vid card you use.

5. Acidglaze macrumors member

Check the video settings section in the game. Some games will allow you to select a video driver if more than one are present. The game may be set to use the onboard instead of the ATI card.

6. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

The Intel graphics is built into the main chip and shares RAM with your main memory. AMD is its own graphics chip. But remember -- the Mini only has 256 mb of graphics power (or 288 shared), which is a pathetic amount these days. Since games rely more heavily on the graphics chip than the processor, that explains why the game struggles. It wouldn't matter if you had a terabyte of RAM; with such a poor graphics chipset, the Mini is a poor gaming machine.