mini vs mini server...or wait

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by andymann, Jul 21, 2012.

1. andymann macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide if I want the mini or the mini server. I'm wanting to be able to do paralels so I can run some autodesk software. I also want it to do double duty as an entertainment/media hub. With autodesk in mind, I could use both a quad core processor AND a dedicated gpu. Can the dual core processor be swapped out with a quad without alot of bs? Or should I just suck it up and deal with the integrated GPU of the server? Or should I see what a possible update beholds?

Any advise is appreciated!

PS, I was thinking of 2 of these for the drives...

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Digit...sr=8-10&keywords="mac+mini"+solid+state+drive

Any thoughts?

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I'd get the dedicated GPU mini, however hold off as we're so close to new ones, and I assume they'll still make one with a dedicated GPU.
    Also, ever since about 2006 or 2007 (and even then on MacBooks) the processors have been soldered to the motherboard. There's no socket even, it's just directly connected. This means you can never upgrade them.

3. Poki macrumors 6502a

Poki

Well, the new ones should be release in the coming five days, so: WAIT!

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"mini vs mini server...or wait"

Wait.

The wait won't be too much longer...

5. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

6. andymann thread starter macrumors newbie

alright guys, thanks! hopefully the new ones will be a little closer to what I'm needing in one package.