mini w/ dual displays

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by habros, Dec 1, 2008.

1. habros macrumors newbie

I've mini connected to 2 dell 24" LCD displays thru Y splitter (DVI to DVI/VGA). 1st display connects with DVI and the second with VGA.
    Vista (bootcamp) can see both displays and it can extend the desktop to the 2nd display.

Since windows on bootcamp can use 2 monitors and OSX can't I would assume that this functionality has been disabled by apple in OSX or display driver. I know that the windows VGA driver provided by apple (bootcamp) has the dual display disabled.

Here is the question:
    Where would i have to look in OSX to enable 2nd display?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know where to look for an appropriate setting, but this Matrox product might help.

3. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

I agree, I'm not sure how you'd fix that on OSX without buying the device above...

4. ADent macrumors 6502a

5. TheProfessor macrumors newbie

I have this Dual Head to go and I can tell you from experience that it works fine in both windows (via fusion) and in the Mac OS.

I am using it now on my MBP in my music studio (until my freshly purchased refurb imac shows up)... then I'll put my 23" ACD down in the studio... and have a couple of 17" LCD's for sale or something I guess.

All said, dual head to go works fine with a mac mini and i have the 1.8ghz C2D model if that matters.

Oh, and FYI, I did the research a year ago and there was absolutely no way to get dual displays WITHOUT the Matrox box... trust me, I tried NOT to spend the money....
    I found it slightly used on ebay.. you might give that a shot...

6. habros thread starter macrumors newbie

Matrox is an OK'ey solution for small res displays..

I guess I should have stated in the original post that I have 2 x 1920x1200 working in Vista (bootcamp). Spending $200+ on the solution that would downgrade the resolution and quality just so I can use 2nd display in OSX makes no sense to me.

7. TheProfessor macrumors newbie

They have a hi res Dual head2go unit too I believe...

But I agree, the analog unit would be pointless if you're already running in hi res....

8. habros thread starter macrumors newbie

According to Matrox's compatibility wizard, max res supported on the mini is 2 x 1024x768.

9. habros thread starter macrumors newbie

I did look at that site, but it seems to be outdated. It primarily pertains to PPC times and firmware hacks.
    I guess, correct me if I'm wrong, we need someone w/ *BSD experience.