Mini White/Silver or Slate Black

Discussion in 'iPad' started by knemonic, Oct 23, 2012.

?

iPad Mini Silver/White vs Slate Black

1. Silver/White

55 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Slate Black

88 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. knemonic, Oct 23, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012

knemonic macrumors 6502a

Kind of torn. I have always gone with the black iPad, but that chrome diamond buffed edge is nice, and either way, the edge is going to get scuffed. I was planning on using a skin on the back to protect the anodized.

2. cnguyen0320 macrumors regular

In the end it doesnt matter too much if you have a case. The black is easier on the eyes when actually using the screen.

3. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

You think so? I have always had the black but when I look at photos on Apple, it almost seems the white might trick your eyes in making the screen more vibrant and bright. I mean, arguably the white is reflecting any light towards your eyes opposed to the black bezel is absorbing it. Wonder if there is any science behind this?

4. Selvasis macrumors newbie

5. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

I don't have an ipad. is this the general consensus ? the color on back doesn't bother me much at all

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

The black looks awesome. But I am concerned about it scuffing and stuff. However that probably won't stop me from going with black.

7. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is how I felt and I was going to put the skin on the back to help.

The only issue is that diamond buffed edge, but I think that is unavoidable in keeping from getting knocked up.

In fact, on my iPhone 5 I have the barely there casemate case, and the open portions the case does not cover the edge, I have noticed one or two nicks already.

So I ordered the Tough case Sunday, which covers all edges.

Fyi, if you need a skin to protect the back (i love these cause you retain the beauty of the design but protect the shell from scratches, my ipads when I sell them always look near brand new when I remove the skin) here is a post I threw up for an awesome deal one some, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1474194 (got mine for $12!)

8. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

yeah, i think they should drop the diamond edge and have it simply curved like the 9.7" iPad

more practical and minimal … which follows the function equals form philosophy of Deiter Rams

9. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree but I thought/read somewhere the the diamond buffer edge offer more protections an sturdiness to the structur of the frame, hence the reason the iPhone 5 has been found to withstand drop tests way better than the 4/4s

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

11. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

never heard that one, interesting

12. nStyle macrumors 6502a

Normally I would say white since I own a white IP5 / iPad 3. In the case of the mini, however, I think the black will complement the smaller bezel quite well considering it will become even less noticeable. The white is sexy and classy though. Tough choice but I think black edges out this time.

13. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Definitely prefer the diamond cut. It looks better and it protects the phone better. I got the white one. The black one is nice but I like the way the white one looks more.

14. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

15. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If it ain't white, it ain't right.

16. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

The vast majority want black, and Apple knows it. That's why they made so many more black than white. White didn't sell out its initial stock because it was the most popular. It sold out because Apple didn't make many.

----------

It's the color around the screen that matters. Black absorbs light, and it also blends in with the screen. The only reason I'd ever choose white is if I was mainly using it as an e-reader since the white pages would blend with the white borders. But since the PPI is so bad on the mini, I'd never read on it. So black is the only right choice.

17. tytbody macrumors regular

White because its sleek looking. I have the white iphone and love it. So white it is.

18. urkel macrumors 68030

I ordered black because a 7" iPad with a black front/back is what I've been whining for since the original so I feel obligated. But if anyone has seen the white iPhone 5 then the way the light catches the beveled edges makes it look really sleek and classy.

19. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Apple made the choice for me, I was more or less set on white to match my i5, but when preorders opened we only had black if wanted for delivery on the 2nd.

As I wasn't completely set on getting white, and the black also looks good, I was happy enough going with black.

Please God, No! If there is one thing I hate on the 9.7 iPad, it's the sharp, thin edge, holding it for long periods to read is painful when used without a case. I see the flatter edge as a huge improvement, lets hope the 9.7 in the future goes the same way.

20. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

its to bad Apple didn't make the 4 black slate.. it looks great on the iphone and why not update colors on both models?

Regardless most of us will get skins or covers to cover the back anyway.

mine will go like this... smart cover, glas.tr screen protector, ipad 4, iCarbons black carbon skin, clear plastic case (maybe)... :D

21. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

White bezel.

Ever been to a modern art gallery. What background? Plain white walls, not black. It showcases color and imagery to your eyes better.

22. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I'm repeating what I've said in other threads, but after seeing the white iPhone 5 in person (I have a black/slate iPhone 5) I really like the chrome chamfer edges. ;)

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Huh? You're kidding right?

24. i0Nic macrumors 65816

The black slate look is awesome, love my stealth iPhone 5 and will pick up the iPad mini in black too. Previously owned the white iPhone 4S and iPad 3, black is just better this time around!