Mini will Not start

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SadSteve1248, Dec 3, 2008.

1. SadSteve1248 macrumors newbie

Hi,

My problem:
    Mac Mini will not start.

Mac Mini Tiger OS X v 10.4 Model Number: A1103

A downloaded program called MacScan, that removes tracking cookies, etc was running.

Well, I fell asleep. Hours later, I woke up, and my Mom told me that the computer was not working. I went to check the Mac Mini, and its only light (a tiny white light on the front) was not on, and the Mac Mini was completely silent. The monitor was also completely blank. The USB (Universal Serial Bus) lights for extra stuff were also off.

I have tried all the Troubleshooting steps in the User's Guide, I called up Apple and a lady tried to help, and I went to:

http://www.apple.com/support/macmini/

and I read much information.

Example:

1. Make sure that the power cord is plugged into a working wall outlet, and that it's properly connected to the power adapter. (To check if the wall socket is working, plug in a lamp or other electrical device.)
    2. Make sure that the power adapter is properly connected to the power port on the back of the computer.
    3. Disconnect all accessories that are plugged into the computer, such as a printer, hub, or iPod.
    4. Reset the PMU. (See Below)
    5. Try plugging a different power cord into the computer (if you have a working one available). If the computer starts up, replace the old power cord.
    6. Try connecting a different power adapter to the computer (if you have a working one available). If the computer starts up, replace the old power adapter.

Reset the PMU

1. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.
    2. Wait 10 seconds.
    3. Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on the back of the computer.
    4. Let go of the power button.
    5. Press the power button once more to start up your Mac mini.

Important: This procedure also resets the computer's PRAM. Be sure to reset your computer's time, date, and other system parameter settings as necessary.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    My Note: I have abbreviated or shortened up the above help information to save space.

Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini

1. From the Apple menu, choose Shut Down (or if the computer is not responding, hold the power button until it turns off).
    2. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord and any display cables.
    3. Wait at least 15 seconds.
    4. Plug the power cord back in, making sure the power button is not being pressed at the time. Then reconnect your keyboard and mouse to the computer.
    5. Press the power button on the back to start up your computer.

Any ideas?

Can a person with acess to many tools, and some tiny screw drivers, take the Mac Mini apart to such an extent, that something good could be done?

Regards, Sad Steve

2. kunze50 macrumors regular

It is probably the power supply in the unit. Sending it to an Apple store is your best bet if it is still under warranty>.