Mini with matte display or iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by self, Jul 29, 2011.

1. self macrumors regular

Has anyone considered getting a Mini on account of the iMac display being so mirror-like? I don't suppose there's a matte 27" LED display out there with 2560x1440 and a built-in FaceTime HD compatible camera?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Mini v Imac

I looked long and hard at the mini before I purchased my iMac. The display is really good, better than I expected. I upspecd to 2gb video and went the whole hog i7 CPU, 8gb ram.

I think I made the right choice, and the photographic and video capabilities are awesome. Nothing wrong with the mini, but if you talk to Apple, you can have pretty much what you want in an iMac.

In the end I guess it comes down to personal choice, but I'm glad I went down the iMac route.:)

3. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I have my iMac facing away from my windows (well, not exactly - just not directly pointing at them), and I have absolutely no problems with screen glare and the like.

4. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

I use an iMac with an ACD as my main Display.

5. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

You can get the Dell Ultrasharp 27in. Same technology as the Apple screen but non glossy. Very highly rated screen.

I was thinking of that route but went iMac 27in. The screen is better then you would ever think. I love the glossy screen I have to say.

6. bigcreek macrumors member

I debated mac mini vs imac and decide imac based on belief it would be slightly better for editing, and ability to use built-in dvd

7. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

You know, I've always wondered if anyone's ever just taken the glass off of their iMac and used it like that.

I know the display itself is glossy, but that would remove the highly reflective glass.

8. self thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks all. I made a second trip to the Apple store and realized I really can't stand the reflections. I had a 17" MacBook Pro matte and glossy side by side and the difference was dramatic. Zero reflections on the matte and the photos in iPhoto looked more like reality.

There's no denying the iMac has a beautiful display and it refreshes instantly, unlike what seems to be a slightly lag with the MacBook. But I just can't get over the reflections in the background. So, guess I'll spring for the Mini or wait for the MacBook Pro refresh. But I really don't need a portable and I'd rather have the display at eye level instead of looking down all the time.

9. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Eh, to each his own I say, but the apple store, ironically, is the worst place to test out a reflective screen. From the fairly bright lighting, to the natural sunlight that comes in through a lot of the larger stores, to just being absolutely surrounded by light sources at every angle(computers, iPads, iPods, etc), not to mention the tons of people walking around at any given moment.

It just seems nearly impossible to recreate a home or office experience in the stores.