Mini won't play DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LotusoftheLeaf, Nov 30, 2008.

1. LotusoftheLeaf macrumors newbie

Recently, my Mac Mini is refusing to play DVDs. There were a few discs it would still play, but now it's refusing those too. Even DVDs that are brand new and just out of the case won't play, so I know the problem isn't the discs being dirty or scratched.

When I insert the disc, the Mini makes an awful grinding noise, pauses for a moment, then spits the disc back out. Usually, the disc comes out scratched and it even gouged one once. Sometimes it will play a disc the first time, but when I try to use the same disc at a later time it suddenly refuses to play it. I had it looked at and the guy said I just needed to use one of those cleaning CDs in it. I've used a cleaning CD about five times on it since then and it doesn't help at all.

Is there any way to fix this?

2. JAT macrumors 603

Sure, buy a new drive and put it in. Drives break. If it's under warranty, bring the gouged disc and the Mini in to an Apple Store and make them replace it.

Please be sensible and stop putting discs in it!

Or DIY, an example:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini/superdrive/

Although an external would be faster, cheaper, more convenient in everything except desk space and looks. Probably last longer, too.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

4. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Maybe, but would that cause the physical gouging of the DVD's?

5. LotusoftheLeaf thread starter macrumors newbie

If that is the problem, would it be something I could easily fix myself? I don't have any experience in fixing computers and the Mini is so compact I don't want to have to mess around inside of it much and move or touch something I shouldn't.