Mini wont see powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by NIPRING, Mar 23, 2008.

1. NIPRING macrumors 6502

My powerbook finds the mini just fine, however the mini sees the PB as a generic pc server. At first this was over my home network, but its the same when i plug them together with an ethernet cable. Both are 10.5.2 and have all updates, enabled file sharing, ect. I've made sure both have the EXACT same settings. Only one time did my mini recognize the powerbook as "powerbook" but at the same time it says there was also a generic pc server on the network, which was impossible since they were tethered with an ethernet cable. Not a huge issue since i can at lease i can do any file swapping from the PB's end, it would just be great if they would play nice together.
    Thoughts?

thanks
    Bill

2. ParishM macrumors regular

ParishM

when going computer to computer you need to use a special cable called a "cross-over" cable and ad-hoc settings.

you can use a regular cable if you have a router or hub.

3. nassau macrumors newbie

as far as i know that was true before but not anymore. computers nowadays are able to tell if there's a 'computer to computer' connection going on and do the 'cable crossing' compensation in software.

correct me if i'm wrong..
    :)

4. bartelby macrumors Core

The original Powerbooks (400Mhz & 500Mhz) weren't auto sensing. Everything since then is.