Minidisplay Port > HDMI - Works fine but internet stops working. Why the helly??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Coopsmyb, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Coopsmyb macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm new here :)

I've just got myself a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable so I can run my Macbook Pro 13" display through my 32" HD TV. It all works fine and I can work everything on my TV either mirrored or as an extended desktop.

BUT...

When the cable is plugged in, my internet decides to stop working. Like, before I plug my cable in, I'm on the internet fine... when I plug my cable in, any applications I have connected to the internet will disconnect, and webpages don't load. I use Safari, but I opened Firefox to see what it said on the bottom loading bar thing and it said 'looking up 'website.com' ", it would stay on this for a while, clear that it's not just being slow, but when I unplug the cable, the webpage loads up instantly.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what I could try to fix it? I've looked at all the things I can think of like opening Network Preferences and Display Preferences but I'm reletively new to Macbooks so I'm not sure what to try next.

Hope someone can be of help.

2. Coopsmyb thread starter macrumors newbie

seriously nobody else has had this problem?

it's so strange.

it worked for 5 minutes or so earlier. then as i got excited that it was working, it stopped working again. :(

3. nhinja macrumors newbie

Work-around

I just recently had the exact same issue. I had a feeling it was because of the encryption for my wireless. I was still using WEP because I was still using old wireless B game adapters to connect my xbox and ps2 to the net. Anyway, you have 2 options. Update your encryption to WPA/WPA2 or else run no encryption at all.