Minidisplay port (thunderbolt) to HDMI buying advice

jg216

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
I want to be able to connect my new 2012 macbook pro to my tv with hdmi compatibility. What products do you recommend?

Does anyone here use the one wire that connects to the thunderbolt port and the hdmi port? or do you guys recommend an adapter and an actual hdmi wire.

I cant find any reliable looking products almost every product has a review where the product eventually stops working.

Please help! how do i do it!?

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I want to be able to connect my new 2012 macbook pro to my tv with hdmi compatibility. What products do you recommend?

Does anyone here use the one wire that connects to the thunderbolt port and the hdmi port? or do you guys recommend an adapter and an actual hdmi wire.

I cant find any reliable looking products almost every product has a review where the product eventually stops working.

This is what I (and several others on this site) have been using:
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (Monoprice)

jg216

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
thanks for the quick response! im going to take your word for it and order it thank you a ton. any suggestions for an hdmi wire? im looking at the amazon bascis one

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Definitely go with Monoprice. I bought one and it works like a charm. Plus its super cheap so if it eventually stops working its not like you sunk a lot of money into it

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
thanks for the quick response! im going to take your word for it and order it thank you a ton. any suggestions for an hdmi wire? im looking at the amazon bascis one
+1 more on monoprice

I've used them for HDTV wall mounts, Mini DP adapters, HDMI cables, etc. Great quality, service, and price.

semiauto

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012

Hi,
I recently bought this cable:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00675Q2CW/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

Great price IMO, last night I hooked it up to my 23" 1080p monitor and was surpirsed at how easy and fluid it worked and the fantastic quality (1080p). In System Preferences>Display you can choose whether or not you want to mirror or extend the display and you can choose from a myriad of resolution outputs.
It also supports Audio through for the newer macs (2010+ I think), which I have tested to work (albeit there is a second or so of latency for the sound to start playing)
So far, it works great with my Macbook Pro (see signature). It comes in 3, 6, or 10 feet. I have the 6 ft. version (the shorter the cable, the less chance of latency)

I will mention that you may even get greater performance out of this cable because I actually have it running to an HDMI switchbox and then up to my display. So, if you are directly running this cable from your Mac to tv/display/etc. it will probably work even better!

Do NOT buy the Moshi HDMI adapter that Apple suggests, it is an overpriced piece of junk.

----------

This is what I (and several others on this site) have been using:
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (Monoprice)
Wow, can't beat that price. I'll have to try one out. Thanks for the link!

semiauto

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
Why use an adapter when there is a HDMI port on your computer? Just use a HDMI cable?
That's only on the rMBP's

----------

I can personally recommend this:http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-High-Speed-Cable-Ethernet/dp/B00316263Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344834501&sr=1-1

I have 4 of them. Great price. Fantastic HDMI cable