Minidisplay port (thunderbolt) to HDMI buying advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jg216, Aug 12, 2012.

1. jg216 macrumors newbie

I want to be able to connect my new 2012 macbook pro to my tv with hdmi compatibility. What products do you recommend?

Does anyone here use the one wire that connects to the thunderbolt port and the hdmi port? or do you guys recommend an adapter and an actual hdmi wire.

I cant find any reliable looking products almost every product has a review where the product eventually stops working.

Please help! how do i do it!?

2. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

This is what I (and several others on this site) have been using:
    Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (Monoprice)

3. jg216 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick response! im going to take your word for it and order it thank you a ton. any suggestions for an hdmi wire? im looking at the amazon bascis one

4. dkersten macrumors 6502a

Definitely go with Monoprice. I bought one and it works like a charm. Plus its super cheap so if it eventually stops working its not like you sunk a lot of money into it

5. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

+1 more on monoprice

I've used them for HDTV wall mounts, Mini DP adapters, HDMI cables, etc. Great quality, service, and price.

6. semiauto macrumors member

Hi,
    I recently bought this cable:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00675Q2CW/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

Great price IMO, last night I hooked it up to my 23" 1080p monitor and was surpirsed at how easy and fluid it worked and the fantastic quality (1080p). In System Preferences>Display you can choose whether or not you want to mirror or extend the display and you can choose from a myriad of resolution outputs.
    It also supports Audio through for the newer macs (2010+ I think), which I have tested to work (albeit there is a second or so of latency for the sound to start playing)
    So far, it works great with my Macbook Pro (see signature). It comes in 3, 6, or 10 feet. I have the 6 ft. version (the shorter the cable, the less chance of latency)

I will mention that you may even get greater performance out of this cable because I actually have it running to an HDMI switchbox and then up to my display. So, if you are directly running this cable from your Mac to tv/display/etc. it will probably work even better!

Do NOT buy the Moshi HDMI adapter that Apple suggests, it is an overpriced piece of junk.

----------

Wow, can't beat that price. I'll have to try one out. Thanks for the link!

7. kzhlin macrumors member

Why use an adapter when there is a HDMI port on your computer? Just use a HDMI cable?

8. semiauto macrumors member

That's only on the rMBP's

----------

I can personally recommend this:http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Hi...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344834501&sr=1-1

I have 4 of them. Great price. Fantastic HDMI cable

9. kzhlin macrumors member

Oops. Sorry, didn't realize that op was talking about regular model.