MiniDisplay port to HDMI adaptor, how to make it work properly?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by sup3r1or, Nov 13, 2011.

1. sup3r1or macrumors regular

I have a late 2010 MBP 13" with mini display port. I got a minidisplay port to HDMI adaptor from EBAY. It looks decent and says works great with audio as well.

Here is my problem when I plug my HDMI (Sony Bravia) TV I can see the background (though not my desktops background) and nothing else in 1080p. If I try to do MIRRORING I get 720p and have black lines on the side of the screen and also no sound coming from the TV.

My friend came to visit me about 2 months ago and his worked like a charm on my TV, he got exactly the same MBP.

I want to be able to watch movies on my TV preferably in 1080p. When I use 1080p I can see movie on my MBP but on my TV only background.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

What do you mean you can see the background, but not the desktop background? This is confusing.

Since you have it set to extended desktop, not mirroring, you need to move your window onto the screen. By default, the secondary monito is set up to be to the right of your screen. So, just keep moving the window to the right and it will go off the right side of the screen and onto the TV.

Alternatively, you can make your TV the main screen by moving the menubar onto it. Look in System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement to do this, and also to see just how your MBP is placing your TV relative to your MBP's screen. I suggest making your TV your main screen, and you'll want to drag the little menubar in the system prefs location I mentioned, not the actual menubar.

3. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

It just that the background on my MBP is different from the one I see on the TV:)

Cheers it worked.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030