Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike21190

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Got a 2011 13'' MBA. I just bought a Moshi mini displayport to hdmi adapter. When i try to hook it up to my tv, the MBA keeps going to that blue screen when you connect to an external monitor, then nothing happens, then a few seconds later it goes back to the blue screen. This just repeats itself over and over again. I tried it with a 2011 15'' MBP and it was doing the same thing. I searched for this, but couldn't find anything on it. Anyone else have this problem? Could it be the hdmi cable? I returned a previous mini display port to hdmi adapter because of this same thing (Plus I didn't buy the audio one). I don't have another hdmi cable, but wondering if it could be a setup issue or something. Thanks

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Got a 2011 13'' MBA. I just bought a Moshi mini displayport to hdmi adapter. When i try to hook it up to my tv, the MBA keeps going to that blue screen when you connect to an external monitor, then nothing happens, then a few seconds later it goes back to the blue screen. This just repeats itself over and over again. I tried it with a 2011 15'' MBP and it was doing the same thing. I searched for this, but couldn't find anything on it. Anyone else have this problem? Could it be the hdmi cable? I returned a previous mini display port to hdmi adapter because of this same thing (Plus I didn't buy the audio one). I don't have another hdmi cable, but wondering if it could be a setup issue or something. Thanks

Had the same issue... Go with a vga or dvi adapter until this is fixed... Might be fixed with an driver update...

mike21190

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
I guess I'll have to for the time being. I wanted hdmi so i could just have 1 cable connected. I was just browsing the apple forums (support communities) and this seems to be a problem with lion.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Strange. My 11" is working without issues with a display Port - HDMI adapter.

The fact the same thing happened on another machine could simply be an indication that your HDMI adapter is faulty. Are you buying third party adapters?

CanadianEh

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2009
I have no problems either. HOWEVER, I put the air to sleep (not shutting the clamshell) and then shut the clamshell, the air does not wake up with either bluetooth devices (keyboard and mouse). It does wake up if I open up the clamshell though. The bluetooth method wakes up for a split second then goes blank. Anyone else experience the same issue?

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011

Can you see anything on your mba screen when this happens? if you can, you should be able to set the refresh rate/resolution for the second display. Play around until something works.

mike21190

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Strange. My 11" is working without issues with a display Port - HDMI adapter.

The fact the same thing happened on another machine could simply be an indication that your HDMI adapter is faulty. Are you buying third party adapters?

Tried 2 HDMI adapters already. It could be the HDMI cable, but right now I don't have another one to test it. This HDMI cable worked fine for my cable to TV.

Can you see anything on your mba screen when this happens? if you can, you should be able to set the refresh rate/resolution for the second display. Play around until something works.

It goes to the blue screen for a few seconds then I can use my computer again but the cursor freezes then it goes back to a blue screen. It just keeps repeating it over and over again.

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
UK
Fix

I had the same issue but I found how to fix it!

If you click identify screens in the display section in preferences, a windows pops up in the additional monitor. On that additional windows on your external monitor you need to just set the right resolution to your monitor andthis straight away got rid of the blue tint for me and you may need to calibrate of the image looks fuzzy.

If this is not clear, I will upload a tutorial/screenshots when I am near my MacBook air later tonight

mike21190

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Do you mean detect displays? I have tried that with nothing working. The cursor normally freezes in between blue screens so its tough to click it. I have been able to click detect displays but nothing happens.

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
UK
Do you mean detect displays? I have tried that with nothing working. The cursor normally freezes in between blue screens so its tough to click it. I have been able to click detect displays but nothing happens.

My bad, I meant detect displays.

Well I managed to fix it due to a window opening when I clicked detect displays. if you can't even do that, I am not sure........Sorry:(

truncj

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
Same issue here. I have tried my generic minidisplay port to hdmi adapter with multiple displays and cables. It doesn't detect the displays but on rare occasion it displays green static and then an off-color desktop and then static and often it goes back to black and is unable to be detected. I'm going to attempt to borrow another minidisplay port to hdmi adapter and test. This setup was working perfectly before but sometime within the last two weeks it stopped working. Possibly a software update killed it? or my MBA/minidisplay adapter is busted. I'll try to find out.

HCx

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2011
having problems as well. using an Asus VW266H monitor (1920X1200)

using the same Mdp->HDMI adapter i used on my 2010 MBP13 which worked flawlessly

on this machine it detects the monitor (it identifies it as a VW266H in System prefs>displays and will let me adjust the resolution, but nothing happens on the external monitor(the MBA monitor turns blue each time. the little light is 'blue' to let me know it think's it's receiving something. but otherwise unresponsive. sound also doesn't pass through to the monitor when i select it as the sound output from Sys Prefs>sound.

i sent back a 2011 MBP a few weeks ago because i assumed it was defective (actually caused static and a screeching noise on the external monitor) and come to find this 2011 MBA11 is doing the same thing!

again, this display and cable worked perfectly on my 2010MBP and on my GF's 2010 MBA11.

is there anyway to just disable the thunderbolt part of the Mdp? not like any affordable peripherals are in the pipeline for it anyway..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.