MiniDisplay Port to HDMI with SOUND!! (via usb)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Advil, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Advil macrumors 6502a

2. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Now the question is what kind of audio is it? TrueHD?

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

The would depend on the originating playback device.

4. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Now will there be one for us old DVI* users?

*Which I would rather have than mini anything. Why do I need $99 to get Dual Link DVI out of a NEW $2500 computer when my 4 year old G4 can do it?(yes Dual Link DVI was $99 on it but it was not a stupid adapter you needed a better video card to get it)

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I did not think that DVI could carry audio.

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Maybe. It will also depend on the USB audio interface they are including in the adapter.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I think he meant DVI+USB-->HDMI, but maybe I'm off.

On top of this, I think Monoprice is developing the same type of adapter for MDP+USB audio-->HDMI

8. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

There is nothing active about a standard Mini DisplayPort -> DVI adapter (single link). I would think you would use one of those in "reverse" to get a DVI -> Mini DisplayPort. You would need a gender adapter, though. The latter may be hard to source.

9. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

It doesn't, and neither does mini display port. If you look back they also mention a USB port along side with the video adapter into HDMI (the usb carrying the audio).

10. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Right, but the difference is that Mini DisplayPort is specified to carry audio, hence it is similar to HDMI. I am pretty sure DVI is specified as video only. The Mini DisplayPort on the Macbook Pro does not carry audio because... because. If Apple wanted it to, it could. Then you would just need a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, with nothing active in the cable.

When you say that the USB is carrying the audio, it makes it seem like it is passing it through. I do not believe that is the case; the USB IS now the audio controller. It is like adding a USB sound interface to your machine.

I just wonder what type of output the controller will have; stereo, Dolby 5.1, Dolby TrueHD. I also wonder if there will be Windows drivers available, so those of us that want to turn the Mini into a Windows 7 Media Center can take advantage of this.

11. Advil thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is what I've been wanting to hear. I love Monoprice (and their prices!) and would love to see an adapter like this at under $20

12. Poirot818 macrumors regular

13. starbai macrumors member

starbai

14. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

They are ready when they are ready ;)

I personally have a system with only HDMI passthrough, so this won't help me.

15. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

I always wondered about this. MY ati 4870 in my desktop has a DVI to HDMI cable running to my receiver. THe card itself has two DVI's on it, and yet audio is carried through the cable, and plays on the tv????

interesting...

16. starbai macrumors member

starbai

maybe thats a DVI-A?

and i see that the site says no specific time frame, but i'm wondering if anyone has done further research to know anything different right now?

17. waughmeister macrumors newbie

Can't wait for this!

Hope the "early August" release date doesn't end up slipping and slipping...

Might email Kanex and see if I get a response. Will let you know if I do!

18. davwin macrumors regular

This adapter should be perfect if it allows passthrough of HD audio codecs :)

19. waughmeister macrumors newbie

I got an email from Kanex saying that "due to problems sourcing components and materials" the adapter won't be released until September. I think Monoprice are also developing a similar adapter so maybe it'll be out sooner. Maybe they're using the same components, hence the shortage. We shall see...