MiniDisplay Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thetussinmonstr, Nov 4, 2009.

1. thetussinmonstr macrumors member

i'm looking for a minidisplay to hdmi adapter.

i've seen two different adapters, both advertised as minidisplay to hdmi, with two different sized male minidisplay ends.

did apple switch the size of their minidisplay port?

is one of them actually just mini-dvi and the other one apple's minidisplay?

how would i know which to get if i'm ordering online??

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Head over to monoprice. They offer the adaptor you need to connect your MacBook Pro to your TV at a very reasonable price when compared to Apple.

3. thetussinmonstr thread starter macrumors member

well, thanks for the suggestion, but that's not exactly what i was looking for.

4. Av1o3 macrumors member

Do you mean display port? Ever since the umbp came out apple has been using minidisplay ports in their products. If you are using a mbp with a minidisplay port you're going to want the monoprice minidisplay to hdmi with usb audio which just came out recently. Make sure you get the one with the audio because i know the old adapter didnt transfer the audio

5. thetussinmonstr thread starter macrumors member

i think you get better sound quality using a tos link 3.5mm to fiber optic for audio.. the headphone jack on a mbp can put out digital audio and i dont think the usb port will.

6. Av1o3 macrumors member

Oh usb can put out digital audio too. I'm not too sure about what the difference in audio quality will be though. I know kanex's adapter gets the audio from the headphone jack if you want that to be sure, but I think it was around 20-30 dollars more than the monoprice one

7. thetussinmonstr thread starter macrumors member

anyone have an idea why i got an infraction for this thread?