MiniDisplay to HDMI cable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eternlgladiator, Apr 16, 2011.

1. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I'm looking at picking up a Mini Display to HDMI cable from monoprice.com. I want to make sure it'll do what I want and think I found the answer but I'm curious if anybody can confirm. Will it carry sound and video from my computer to TV?

2. dqpassat macrumors regular

I have a Monoprice adapter that DID NOT carry audio, just video to my TV from my i5 2.4 MBP. You have the same generation MBP, albeit a 2.53, so your mac has that ability.

I ended up picking this adapter from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CK8TZ8
    This one will carry audio & video. Works perfectly and looks pretty cool too. Not as cheap as monoprice, but does the job.

3. bytor99999 macrumors newbie

Me too. It only sent video. However, my sister who has a Mac Mini was using one and said in her iDVD software for audio you had to tell it to push the audio through the Mini Display port/HDMI and then she got sound, so maybe that would work on my MBP and yours.

If you have an iPad2, I highly highly recommend getting the HDMI adapter they have. 1 to 1 exact copy of your iPad onto your big screen TV. Makes the Apple TV not necessary as you can get what you get on it and more through your iPad2 to HDMI.

I also bought a 15' HDMI cable so I can have my iPad2 with me on my couch. But I digress.

Mark

4. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Not sure why you didn't just call Monoprice and ask them, and the product page itself says "does not support audio"

5. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Not sure why you didn't just move along instead of posting a snide comment. I read the product review and saw a variety of answers. I came here to confirm them

I read that you have to go to sound in system preferences and change the output to tv once you hook the cord up. Can you confirm that works?

6. LaazyEye macrumors regular

Yes this'll work. I don't know why dqpassat is having problems though as the cpu speed has nothing to do with this.

7. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Just trying to show you a much more efficient method. You would have had your answer in less than 3 minutes plus I didn't say anything about the reviews, the product page itself clearly states product does not support audio.

8. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Great. Thanks!

9. bytor99999 macrumors newbie

Yeah, that is what my sister did. And that worked for her. It wasn't the Monoprice cable, but one she got at the Apple Store, but I think all those cables will work if you set the audio in the System Preferences.

Mark

10. hatersgonnahate macrumors 6502a

i bought one for my mbp (2011) from monoprice (minidisplay to hdmi) and it does not work with my dell monitor. :(