Minidisplay to HDMI no sound please help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigdaddyc188, Jun 15, 2010.

1. bigdaddyc188 macrumors member

Total newbie here bought a new 17" i7 macbook and I bought an minidisplay to HDMI adapter and when I connect I can see a picture but no sound, i tried going into the system preferences and seeing if there was an hdmi output but I cannot see anything.

Any suggestions help would be great!

2. belvdr macrumors 603

3. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

It can if you have a 2010 MBP and the right wire.

Which laptop do u have and where did u get the wire from?

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

It's in his post, an i7 17" so definitely able to output audio though MDP.

To the OP, when you say you have checked System Preferences, I take it you mean Sound and then Output? Does it just show Internal Speakers as an option?

What MDP to HDMI adapter do you have? It's only been in the last couple of months that audio compliant adapters have been available, possibly have an older one which does video only?

5. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it does, i thought when Apple built the new Apple Cinema Display, the USB connection was to transfer sound and data to and from the Apple Cinema Display Speakers and USB Ports?

6. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I've got a 15" i7 currently hooked to an AV Receiver via HDMI and nothing else, I can assure you it does output video and audio. That or I'm going insane and imagining listening to Nirvana lol.

The 2010 models have VESA 1.2 MDP ports which carry audio, Apple confirmed this soon after release:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/04/new-macbook-pros-support-audio-over-mini-displayport.ars

7. prism macrumors 6502a

I find it kind of strange and annoying that apple does not mention anywhere that the new MBP allows audio out through MDP! The other day at an apple store a "genius" was telling me that the 2010 MBP does not support audio through MDP to HDMI and I wanted to show him he was wrong but couldnt find anything on Apple's website!

8. Meever macrumors 6502a

Where are you guys getting the HDMI to Mini Display w/ both video and audio from? Monoprice doesn't seem to have any at the moment.

9. Reapur macrumors regular

10. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

There's a good thread related to that here\; http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=901264

There's a fair few pages to go through, however you should find a few different links of one's users have tested and have confirmed to output audio. Got mine from Amazon UK, but guessing with your mention of Monoprice that you're American?

11. hypermog macrumors regular

(emphasis mine)

"HDMI (audio and video)"

13" http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4167
    15" http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4124
    17" http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4138

also

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3065

12. prism macrumors 6502a

13. prism macrumors 6502a

LOL, you call $40 cheap?

14. Reapur macrumors regular

You bought a 15 inch MBP and then bitch about the cost of a cable? Give me a break. Whatever, I tried to help out, by taking time out of my day to read the question and type out a response. This crap is easy to research on your own no need to be lazy and make other people do it for you. Try www.google.com .

This "expensive cable" is a quality product using moulded rubber insulation instead of those low quality hard plastic connectors that are prone to breaking and have been reported to stop working with poor contact points inside. You can spend less money now and then spend money again replacing something likely to break, or spend a bit more cash on something thats probably going to outlast the computer you bought it for.

I know I bought a Macbook Pro over a Windows 7 PC for the build quality of the hardware and OS, I spent a premium for it, knowing im not necessarily getting the best hardware specs for the cash I paid, but am getting a solid long lasting product that will not let me down.

15. prism macrumors 6502a

Chill out, $40 is expensive for a connector irrespective of the price of the MBP. With hindsight, I guess I should have mentioned that "expensive" is a relative notion and therefore maybe for you, the price of the connector was good value for money.

16. Reapur macrumors regular

Yes money spent on good quality merchandise is what I consider good value for money. The value being that it will last a very long time without issue is worth me spending more money on a product, not to mention the cable includes an extra adapter to convert the HDMI to DVI.

17. chuckm1020 macrumors regular

Do some research and you can find that cable for even cheaper. :p its not that hard haha. i just received my griffin adapter today and am loving it!!

18. babyshape macrumors newbie

i was having the same problem until now I fixed it.
    just go to System Preference -> Sound -> OutPut -> HDMI (instead of Internal Speaker)
    It fixes the problem! MDP dose carry both audio and video! :)

19. TJones macrumors regular

Before you plug in the adapter to your Macbook Pro make sure you turn on the TV and change the channel to HDMI first. If you don't, your Macbook won't detect the TV as an output audio device.

20. tommycall macrumors newbie

worked

That was simple enough, only other suggestion is to be sure to first connect the HDMI cable first and turn on the TV other wise it wont pop up on your choices

21. wackomcg macrumors newbie

i have the same problem. i went into the apple store yesterday, explained that i wanted an HDMI adapter for my MBP, was given a "techlink" one that claims to give you both audio and video, but there is no option for audio output in my sound settings other than internal speakers... very frustrating

22. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Yes, when you're buying a Mac that generally costs over $1000+ (minus the Mac mini) sometimes to the upward range of $2000+, $40 is practically nothing compared to the price of your Mac.