minidisplay to VGA to Sharp Aquos problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fulcrum.1995, Jun 24, 2009.

1. fulcrum.1995 macrumors member

I recently got myself to purchase a minidisplay to VGA cable for use with my 20 inch samsung monitor and my 52 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV. Like alot of other users, the computer would not output a resolution of 1920x1080 to the TV. After a few days and a long time scouring the internet, I got switchresX to output the correct resolution. Unfortunately, The image is displayed about 1 foot off center with a long black bar on the left side of the screen. Using the front and back porch settings do nothing at all and although using the TVs image placement tools I can move the image, I can not move it far enough to the left to cover the blackness. After moving it the left as far as it can go, it is still about half a foot from the edge of the screen.

any suggestions from anyone?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I had a similar problem with a Panasonic LCD TV, but never did get it worked around. My guess would be that the TV just doesn't like a VGA signal at that resolution for whatever reason.

Question: Doesn't your Aquos have an HDMI input? If so, a mini-displayport to DVI + DVI-HDMI cable should get you a perfect, full-screen picture and at higher quality than VGA to boot.

I have a 37" Sharp TV and this is what I use (though mine doesn't even have a VGA port). Don't forget to select "dot-by-dot" mode on the TV, though, and "overscan" on the Mac (you shouldn't need to use switchres), or it'll be overscanned and rescaled, reducing quality.

3. fulcrum.1995 thread starter macrumors member

huh,
    thats a shame, I bought the VGA because my monitor doesnt have DVI and my TV has VGA. I guess ill have to wait? I dont have the cash to dish out like that :(