MiniDisplayPort to HDMI Available!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tobler51, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Tobler51 macrumors member

http://www.macnews.de/news/114340.html
    Its german site, that says 15$ per cable but only for sale in the US right now...

EU shipping atm not available?

And no AUDIO Support right now! :(

but i'll go for this adapter!

2. isaki87 macrumors regular

That just linked me to monoprice, which still has their eta at 3/15/2009.

3. scottuf macrumors 6502

great news that its still being worked on since when i asked them about it 2 weeks ago they had no eta.

where did you see no audio?

4. Tobler51 thread starter macrumors member

The MiniDP Port supports no audio, this is an official statement afaik.
    24"CinemaDisplay gets sound via USB afaik...

im not 100%sure...may we ask applecustomer support :X

5. raysmd macrumors member

so that must be the worst connection possible then. Isn't the purpose of HDMI to reduce clutter? so, if I wanted to connect the MBP to a plasma tv, then I would need to get audio out somehow?

6. semitry macrumors member

No audio would be stupid. Display Port supports audio, so the mini should? If it doesn't that's gotta be one of the more lamer things Apple has done.

7. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

DisplayPort only seems to support audio over a DisplayPort link. The HDMI adapter would actually be using the DVI output of the DisplayPort connector, and since DVI does not support audio, no audio on the HDMI adapter.

8. Hermolicious84 macrumors member

There is no audio in the Mini Displayport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini_DisplayPort

Wikipedia has the specs on just about any cable or connector tech you want to know about.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

... supported by OS X. The SPEC has audio, the CABLES have audio, APPLE hasn't enabled it.

10. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

This just seems like it was overlooked.

DO I mind the displayport? actually no, i like it better than HDMI. Do I mind that its supposed to be so much "better (from apple)" than HDMI, BUT WONT PUT SOUND OUT?

lazy apple. My moms 600$ dell can do it! Wish I didnt have to use an optical cable, which by the way is fussy as all hell with 5.1.

11. RITmusic2k macrumors member

RITmusic2k

I've found this solution to be more than satisfactory, and it's available now -

I purchased the mini displayport-to-DVI adapter from Apple, then picked this up:

http://www.svideo.com/dvihdmiaudio6.html

Adapt the 3.5mm pigtail on the hdmi end to an RCA stereo plug, and you've got audio connections you can hook up to most receivers out there :)

12. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

If that's the case I might as well go with mDP > DVI > HDIM. Rather disappointing.

13. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

DVI definitely supports audio. My ATI HD4850 passes audio over DVI to HDMI perfectly fine. 7.1 surround sound too.

14. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

which is had a digital audio version. 5.1!! :D

15. vm7118 macrumors regular

only DVI-D (digital). standard DVI-A ports, which 70% of devices use, can't do it. the remaining 30% are split between DVI-D/I, either of which can be single link or dual link. so the chances are not very good that 1) you have a DVI-D port and 2) your motherboard/video card can output audio over it, which is a feature of just some particular video cards (mostly ATi) and HTPC motherboards.

and you would need a HDMI/DVI cable with DVI-D on the end as well, and not just DVI-A. and not just a HDMI/DVI adapter.