MiniDisplayPort to HDMI Cable - Generic or OEM?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by aleXXXps, May 11, 2011.

1. aleXXXps, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

aleXXXps macrumors member

Has anyone had any experience with the generic mini display port to hdmi cables like they sell on ebay and amazon? I want to connect my macbook to my tv to watch movies, but don't want to drop a ton of money as I'm only going to do it maybe once or twice a month, if that.

2. simsaladimbamba

Look at MonoPrice.com for cheap cables that work.

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yes, I got mine off ebay for $4-5 and it works fine, sound and everything...no need to pay $40 for an adapter.

4. aleXXXps thread starter macrumors member

I'm not doing anything serious with it, just occasionally watching a movie or a tv show from the laptop the the tv. I need audio and video, but nothing superior in quality as long as it works the few times I need it to. I found a bunch on eBay for between 5 and 10 dollars, which doesn't seem bad.

5. simsaladimbamba

Maybe you should edit your thread title accordingly, for example:
    Your experience with MDP to HDMI adapters from eBay?

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

6. aleXXXps, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

aleXXXps thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't have to be eBay, I just want a cheap cable that works. I've seen plenty of mixed reviews on even the official Apple ones not working properly and failing after minimal use. Not quite sure where to get it; trying to stay under $20

7. xMClass macrumors 6502

Easy there OP, he was just trying to help and I agree with the thread title. Maybe you'd get more responses that way.

Anyways, I bought one of those generic cables from eBay and it broke after 3 months of use. Not worth paying $5-$10 over and over again every time they break.

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

How do you break the cable?

9. aleXXXps thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks for the info guys! And yeah how do the cables break, do the connections just get loose over time?

10. xMClass macrumors 6502

Where in my post did I say I broke the cable? I said "it broke" not "I broke it." It just stopped working out of nowhere, nothing of my own doing. I was using it with a MacBook Pro and one of the newer model Samsung HDTVs. And yes, I did test it with another TV and another Mac and it wouldn't work anymore.

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

So an inanimate object that is just converting from one plug to another killed itself without any interaction or damage from the user :rolleyes:

12. njaremka macrumors 6502

it does happen, if the connections inside the connector are shoddy. i've had it happen a bunch of times with usb cables and adapters.

13. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I buy Apple branded display adapters and the first one I bought broke just through using it; colours on the screen started going pink and blue and green depending on the position the adapter was at. The second one I bought has started to mess up too; it's starting to not click into the port like it used to. I think the plastic part of the end of the adapter is moving slightly up the cable... They do often break quite quickly.

14. xMClass macrumors 6502

Yes, it did. Things break, fact of life. You're telling me nothing you've owned broke over time? Obviously your intelligence is lacking and your comprehension skills are non existent so I will cease to further explain what happened to my broken cable. :rolleyes:

15. tjb1 macrumors 68000

So if left alone on a shelf, it would just break itself? Seems your intelligence is lacking.

16. xMClass macrumors 6502

:rolleyes: Your logic makes no sense whatsoever. Obviously if you leave something unused on a shelf the chances of it breaking are slim, but have you ever heard about wear and tear? THINGS BREAK WITH USE AND OVER TIME! Nothing lasts forever, especially with electronic items. I really don't get the point you are trying to make here, clearly you are wrong. I'm putting you on my ignore list. Go troll somewhere else where someone will listen to your illogical statements. Maybe you should co-host with Glen Beck? Yup, you two would make a fantastic team. Try the Syfi channel.

17. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Just go with Monoprice or some other website that sells cheap cables. It won't make a difference if you buy it from Apple or somewhere else. The only difference is that it is cheaper, much cheaper.

18. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Thanks for the suggestion! Will do :)

19. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I grabbed a generic one from meritline a few months back. They had an awesome sale - $5 shipped for a MDP-to-HDMI with sound, and 2 HDMI cables. Mine still works great, one of the best deals I've gotten.

20. BubbaJones macrumors regular

BubbaJones

I also bought the cable from monoprice. Works great.