miniDisplayPort to HDMI issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ratzzo, Aug 3, 2011.

1. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Hey guys,

I own a 2010 i5 MBP and bought a miniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter (though these technically "dont exist" :p). When I plug it in my 42" LG HDTV, the TV actually recognizes the port as being used (it's not grayed out) but when I switch to it, it just says "No signal" as if the MBP wasn't actually sending my desktop over. While the cable is connected on both sides, nothing actually happens, except for the MBP's screen turning blue for 2-3 seconds and going back to normal when I connect or disconnect.

Any clues on how to get this working? Thanks!

Edit to add that I'm running Lion

2. cinek macrumors 6502

probably a faulty adapter or your tv doesn't support it

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I have one of those as well and I read somewhere that you have to have your laptop plugged i.e. charging as otherwise it won't work. try that

4. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

I confirm, to use the external monitor in clamshell mode, it has to be powered by the adpater otherwise, it stay in sleep mode.:cool:

5. ratzzo thread starter macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Thanks for the replies,

I plugged in the charger and then connected the MiniDisplayPort and it still won't go. The screen turns blue and goes back to normal shortly thereafter but the TV still reads No Signal. I have also tried it on 2 other HDTVs (these two while not charging though). It's as if the cord won't mirror my screen to the HDTV.

I bought this cable to view photos in large screens and tempting HDTV gaming :cool: -- any ideas if it's the cord what's wrong? I tried a miniDP some time ago in a friend's house with a projector and it was working, so I know it's not my MBP.

Cheers

6. Herrow macrumors regular

Which adapter are you using? I have had some "generic" types not work either.

Found the Griffin MDP -> HDMI adapter work well for me..

7. ratzzo thread starter macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Some from eBay, the seller didn't get any negative votes on his/her sells though... I could just get one from MonoPrice when I get to the US but I don't know if they have discontinued/will discontinue it because of the nonsense claims that MDP - HDMI isn't a proper HDMI cable. Gahh :/