MiniDP to DVI has stopped working with 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, Aug 17, 2011.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Feb 11, 2008
    Hey folks. I use a 2.66ghz dual core i7 mbp, 15", 1680x1050 res screen. I use the minidp to dvi plug to connect to my samsung syncmaster 2333sw I was doing up some rearranging of my desk, and I needed to temporarily unplug the adaptor from my laptop. Once I plugged it back in, my laptop screen just froze (didn't go throu e normal blue screen where it usually goes to if I just plugged in a display/projector)

I bring my laptop to college and when I plug it back in every night there has never been any issues.

I unplugged it, but my screen stayed frozen. Even my mouse cursor couldn't move. I restarted and now I tried with my miniDP to VGA adaptor, hooking up to the monitor through vga. Image is bad as per VGA standard, but works as advertised. I tried plugging it through dvi again. Again my system locked up and didn't respond to inputs.

I force shut down again by holding the power button and plugged in the vga adaptor only. The blue screen appeared before it settled back to normal. I unplugged it, and ditto. I tried the dvi adaptor only, and absolutely nothing happened.

I thought this had to be the issue, and I bought a new adaptor. It still doesn't work.:(

What has gone wrong? Does anyone know? Can anyone help? :( I'm on 10.7.1 if that matters.
  2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Sep 10, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Try it on Snow Leopard, if you can. There's always the possibility it's an obscure Lion bug.
  3. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 11, 2008
    Unfortunately I don't have any Snow Leopard machines around, and I can't install it on mine either. But it was working for a long while on Lion (bought it on the first day) so it shouldn't be Lion. I was thinking 10.7.1 might be it.