miniDP to HDMI No Sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdsingle, Nov 22, 2011.

1. jdsingle, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011

jdsingle macrumors regular

I have done quite a bit of googling hoping to find an answer to my question. I have connected my MiniDP to HDMI adapter to my Samsung TV but cannot get any sound to be output through the TV speakers when playing videos. I've gone into System Preferences -> Sound -> Output, then clicked on Samsung (type HDMI), but I am getting a message that says The Selected device has no output controls. I have an early MBP 2011

I've gone to Audio MIDI Setup.app and clicked on the HDMI tab, it shows Samsung as the Source but will not let me change any settings. I clicked on Configure Speakers, and I can get static out of the left speaker & right speaker when I click on it. Other than that though, nothing.

Any help would be appreciated. I know that the port on my TV accepts sound because we connect to it all the time with one of our Windows laptop and it works perfectly. I know that my adapter works with MBP because a friend uses it.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It would be extremely helpful to know which MBP you have as not all of them output sound through the MDP.

3. jdsingle thread starter macrumors regular

My apologies, early MBP 2011.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Hmmm, I do believe that one does support sound out through MDP. Where did you get your adaptor?

5. jdsingle thread starter macrumors regular

Amazon miniDP to HDMI