MiniDrive alternative: Review: Apotop SD Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kincarpenter, Jul 16, 2013.

1. kincarpenter, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013

kincarpenter macrumors newbie

Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1W70HF4297

So I just bought this last week for my 13" MBA. You guys might have seen this around, it's pretty similar to the $20 version of the minidrive, in that it is not flush. However, let me stave off your criticisms, and let you know that I measured the exact amount it sticks out, which is a mere 1.5 mm. That is all.
    Fears that it will "cause your macbook not to fit into its case" or "it might catch on something" are completely unfounded.
    This thing is slim. I've had my MBA in and out of a Be.ez sleeve with absolutely no issues. In fact, I'd like to see a case comes within a 1.5mm tolerance of your computer...probably doesn't exist.

I'm using the Sandisk 64gb card with it, and while it is obviously no SSD, it is very suitable & seamless for playing videos, music, or working on documents.

It is made of a single piece of molded plastic, and seems quite accurately and well fabricated. No seams, or extraneous plastic. I just can't see how this could break or come apart given it's unibody design, which seems to be an advantage over the MiniDrive.

I have had it in my MBA for the last week, and it's always reliably shown up in Finder without a hitch, whether resuming from sleep, or booting up.

To top it all off, they give you 3 adapters in a pack for $20. Not sure why, but hey, you can give one to a friend and sell the third, which helps to justify (and bring down) the cost.

I love this thing. Highly recommended!!

Attached Files:

2. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

So how do you actually remove it from the computer?

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It sticks out just enough for you to grab onto it with your nails...

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Does it feel like that part might chip or break off after extended use? Would hate to have that thing stuck inside ...

5. kincarpenter thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the advantage of it being a unibody mold: The part that sticks out is part of the same mold as the entire card, not a separate piece. That means that unlike the MiniDrive, there is nothing that can break off.

The part that sticks out is grooved, making it easy to pull out. No need for tools, wires, paper clips, etc.

6. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Looks good but they need a collie that matches the aluminum of the MacBook Air. One pack for $9.99 would be a great seller.

7. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I took the original poster up on his offer to sell one of the cases...

Right now, my card is in the usual freebie adapter that comes with an SDXC card. I've been eying the minidrive alternatives, but I really couldn't see spending $30 or even $20 for a tiny chunk of molded plastic.

I don't plan to take the SDXC card out of my MBA very often, if at all, so if it is in there and it only sticks out a bit, well, no biggie, eh?

8. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I'll probably splurge on one of these Apotops soon. The problem is I need a compelling use case for buying a micro SD. What do you guys typically use your micro SDs for and how often do you use them?

9. ttran88 macrumors regular

10. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I store feature length movies, shorter videos and music on my SDXC card. No need to clutter up the relatively small MBA hard drive with media.

11. kincarpenter thread starter macrumors newbie

It's definitely great for music - I went with the 128gb hard drive, so it's an awesome extra 50% storage.

12. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

The fact that this is a multipack means I can split it with my roommate who has also been looking for something like this. I may pick this up at some point. Thanks for bringing it up, OP.

13. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Got mine today. It's well made and, at 3 per pack, a heck of a lot cheaper than the MiniDrive. It does jut out ever so slightly, but I much prefer this design to the flimsier designs of the various iterations of the MiniDrive. Performance is not that fast, but that's par for the course for micro SD cards. Not so keen on the colors either. Why pink, green and blue? Why not at least black or silver? Weird choice.

14. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I agree. I bought an Apotop from another poster here for $8.00. It fits the MBA slot perfectly and a finished surface sticks out only a bit, less, in fact, than the STM shell case I put on my new laptop. $20 or $30 for a minidrive is just off the wall.

I agree, the choice of colors suck. :D Silver or black would have been better but, really, I don't spend much time looking at the side of my laptop, and I'm no fashion statement myself.

If you want one of these "covers" to slip over your microSD, I think this is the one to get.

15. scbond macrumors 6502

Anyone who pays that much money for three small pieces of cheap, thin plastic needs to get their head examined in my opinion. You can get similar products for much less.

16. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Ha, quote of the year. Your honesty is refreshing. :p

Yeah, OK. As opposed to paying $30 for ONE small piece of cheap, thin plastic? And where, praytell, could you get a similar product for much less? Do share because I sure haven't found it.

17. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Wow 3 for $20, great deal. And no breakable parts a big + Would be nice if they had a less... colorful option and something more in the silver tone.

EDIT: WOW just found this too, Its pretty awesome, but not worth the 50 just yet for me though
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1W70U37481

18. kincarpenter thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I definitely haven't seen anything cheaper than this (3 for $20, or for that matter cheaper than 1 for $20). Please do point us in that direction if you know of something.

Also, it just occurred to me that one could try coloring over the part that sticks out with a silver sharpie? Not sure how that would look, or if it would work, but an idea.

19. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

So after using this for a day, I like it. Not too obtrusive. Only thing I wish they'd improve on are the corners of this thing. They're too sharp. If they just rounded off the corners, the risk of having this get caught on something else when sliding in and out of sleeves, etc., would be much less. Other than that and the color scheme, no real complaints. Worth the $20 for 3 that I paid.

20. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Just treated my blue one to a repaint job from a silver sharpie. Works! :D

21. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Care to share pics?

22. hakr100, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

hakr100 macrumors 6502a

Sure, but there goes my hope of patenting the secret application of ink and selling it in the App Store for $39.95! :D

That's my pre iStapler stapler holding up my MBA. It cost me a lot less than the new iStapler stapler, which runs on IOS 9 beta, and is expected to sell for $299.95. Just to the right of the newly painted adapter holder is the USB mouse. Note the fancy "T" applied to the USB plug, which was applied with a black Sharpie and tells me at a glance which side of the plug is up, as it were.

Another free tip. I've never going to make a million bucks ripping off, er, selling overpriced stuff, to Apple fans. :(

Attached Files:

• sdxc.jpg
      sdxc.jpg
      File size:
      624.1 KB
      Views:
  23. mpritc1019 macrumors newbie

New to mac with my new MBA. I am ordering one of these because I got the base hard drive. What kind of card do you recommend for use with this holder?

24. sarthak macrumors 6502

Got mine from eBay for $5. Use it with the rMBP. I painted it silver using paints from GamesWorkshop.

It's nearly flush with the rMBP 15". I used it on the Air 13" and it's very nice fit but with the rMBP it is quite hard to remove with the paint on it. I think I'm going to have to try a silver paint sharpie.

25. mpritc1019 macrumors newbie

Help

I need help knowing what MicroSD card will work using the Smartsuit. I am new to mac and not sure.