MiniDVI to TV options

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chrisgl, Dec 18, 2011.

1. chrisgl macrumors newbie

My sister-in-law has asked for something that'll allow her to connect her computer to her TV (for watching TV shows and such). She has one of the earlier-generation white MacBooks that have a MiniDVI output.

My first thoughts were to go with a MiniDVI to HDMI adapter, but we'd still need sound. I could just get a separate audio cable, but I don't think most TVs give you the option to use an analog audio input with an HDMI input. Some Googling didn't turn up any active MiniDVI adapters that join video and sound into one HDMI connection.

Is my best option to go with something like an S-video adapter so that the video and audio can easily be "joined" with the TV?

EDIT: Just after posting this, I realized that her MacBook has a combo analog/digital audio output. I'll see if I can find out if her TV will let you use an optical audio input with an HDMI input.

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Most TVs have analogue audio input for DVI/VGA, if that's available.

3. chrisgl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips. I didn't want to ask too many questions and tip her off, but I was able to find out her TV's model number, and it turns out it apparently does have an HDMI input paired with an analog audio input: http://www.emersonaudiovideo.com/products/product.php?id=8

So, I've ordered a MiniDVI to HDMI cable and a 3.5mm to RCA cable and we'll hope that works.

Thanks again.