Minidvi to video help please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Crown16, May 10, 2008.

1. Crown16 macrumors regular

Hi i bought a mini dvi to video adaptor from apple. I also bought a cable to go with (yellow tulip) so i could use my tv for watching movies since it is bigger then my 17'' iMac. but when i plug it al in. and have the tv on the correct channel it doesnt work properly. i do get the blue colour of my desktop and thats it. if i go to front row the tv screen goes black but thats it. what am i doing wrong help please?

2. haneefa8 macrumors newbie

sorry even i doesn't know how to use it.

3. mwchris macrumors regular

Sounds like . . .

Based on what you have stated it sounds like you have do not have your displays set to mirror. I am not sure but give this a try;

1. Go to system preferences
    2. Select monitor
    3. Under they display tab make sure you have the box that says "mirror displays" checked.
    4. Close out of system preferences

That should fix your problem, but I have never actually used the video out connector, just dvi to vga. Anyway, give that a try as I would assume they function similarly.

Chris

4. Crown16 thread starter macrumors regular

yes that did the trick thanks:)

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

The other option is to keep it the way it was. It basically extended your computer desktop. But you then take your video window and drag it off the desktop and onto the TV screen. Then go Full Screen. The advantage of doing it that way is that you can watch the video on the TV but still use your computer as normal.