Minimal hack/tampering advice please.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AKfreeRider, Aug 4, 2010.

1. AKfreeRider macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I just received a friends original 2G iphone. I have been looking through these forums for the least intense way of activating the phone without a data plan. Least intense because the ONLY goal I have is to activate the phone without a data plan. I am not interested in 3rd party software or manipulating the iOS settings. I am already on AT&T. I can easily follow the walkthroughs on unlocking or jailbreaking the phone, but I'm just wondering if that is overkill since my only goal is to dodge the data plan (not to use it with a different cell provider).

Side note, not sure if this is important... The iPhone was wiped, so it currently asks me to connect to itunes or allows me to make emergency calls.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate any help/advice.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

AT&T will add a data plan to your contract if you use an iPhone. They have their ways of knowing you are using an iPhone. It may not show up until a few billing cycles go by, but it will.

3. james92se macrumors 6502a

Disregard what everybody says about it being inevitable that AT&T automatically adding the data plan onto your phone or "catching you" or whatever. It's bull.

You can use your original iPhone with NO data plan and NOT get "caught". I did this for nearly a year (until just a month ago when I got my iPhone 4), and I know people who have done this for nearly two years.

Here's what you do:

Call or go to AT&T with your current "dumb phone" and tell them you want a data block put on your account to where your phone cannot access the internet. They will do this for you no problem at all. If they ask you why (they may or may not), just tell them you don't want to accidentally access the internet on your phone and be charged for anything.

Then, get on the iPhone, and with NO SIM card in the phone, get on WiFi, open Safari, and go to unlockit.co.nz from the phone. You want to do the disable data/Fake APN changer option (I can't remember what exactly it's called - it will be obvious when you navigate to it on the phone).

Now, once you install the Fake APN (this will give you a sort of "second layer" of protection in addition to the data block), you can take your SIM card from your "dumb phone", stick it in the iPhone, and use it away. You will NOT have EDGE, and will not be able to access the internet at all unless on WiFi, thus saving you $20 a month.

NOW, once you put your SIM into the iPhone, your account online will show that you have an iPhone. Don't freak out, this is normal, but your data block WILL stay.

(I suppose if you're calling AT&T constantly and giving them reason to manually dig into your account, there's a possibility they'd catch on, but I'd highly doubt it. I'd called AT&T a dozen or so times and they never caught on or said or did anything.)

4. AKfreeRider thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. But unfortunately, I actually cannot navigate the iphone to that page using safari because the iphone currently tells me to plug it into itunes in order to activate it. It will only allow me to make emergency calls.

I know there are many people who have successfully dodged the data plan. I am currently using an epically "dumb phone" and would love to take advantage of this iphone, but I cannot afford the monthly fees. If anyone knows a good method for activating the iphone without a data plan (I'm already with AT&T), I would really appreciate the help. Thanks.