Minimal heat coming out of keys?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krzkrzkrz, Jan 8, 2015.

1. krzkrzkrz macrumors member

Just purchased an MBP pro the other week. I notice minimal heat coming out from the keys in the keyboard. Not significant, but enough to notice.

In fact, the palms of my hands tend to get slightly sweaty over time. Is this sort of thing expected? I've never had a laptop where the keys emanate heat.

Frankly, it's also a little bit annoying to work on....:mad:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've noticed heat coming from my MBPs keys as well, nothing significant and not enough to make hands sweat.

3. krzkrzkrz thread starter macrumors member

Am curious. Which side do you feel it most? Left or right?

4. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

This is normal, though some people's hands take more to make them sweat than others. You state that it is minimal, then state that it is annoying, so perhaps you are just very sensitive to heat? Try and keep the exhaust ports clear. Having them covered will make it more noticeable. If you're watching certain graphics intensive videos that might drive the heat up more, figuratively and literally, maybe the sweaty palms is a good thing...;)

5. Mikael H macrumors 6502a

I don't think I've ever worked on a machine where this did not happen.

The MBP has an aluminium body which might add to this notion, since it probably transmits more heat from the internal components than a laptop with a plastic body would, but really: You're holding your hands an inch or so above a number of significant heat sources.

6. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Never had a non-retina MBP, but now with several Safari tabs open (and nothing else) my Late 13 13" rMBP stays cool, as in "room temperature metal object cool". It might even be a bit unpleasant. A MBP heating up even when idle doesn't sound OK to me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not really dissected the problem that closely to determine the heat, I just keep working and not even notice at this stage.

8. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Speaking of heat coming from the keys... what do you guys think of using plastic keyboard overlays?

I started using them on my old MB Air after it was splashed with soda last year and I had to replace the keyboard.

I'm asking because as we speak I am ripping my BR collection so I can have an all digital library... and the fan has been running non-stop with MakeMKV and Handbrake ripping/encoding the video files.

I removed the overlay... thinking I don't want to aid in heat not being able to escape.

9. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Don't use plastic on the keyboard. You are adding a layer of insulation to a machine that is cooling itself.

10. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Gotcha... thanks. :D

11. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

You're very welcome.

12. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

There are apps that monitor the fan speed and temperature of several parts of your macbook. Try running a demanding task, cover your keyboard, uncover it, see for yourself.