Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frenetic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
Hi everybody,

I am in the process of finding the ideal computer setup, and I would like to know the following: is it possible to put on the mba a "minimal" iTunes library. I am asking because I have a huge iTunes library on my macbook (140 gb), and the mba's hard disk would be almost full when I would carry al that music with me. So my question is if it is possible to upload and keep synchronized a limited number of playlist, not disimilar to the way an ipad can automatically keep synchronized a number of playlists without having to carry the entire library... Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Frenetic

frenetic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
Yes, but how could I automate this? As far as I can tell, you can only do that with ipads, ipods or iphones, not with other computers...

techocd

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Canada
The easiest solution may be iTunes Match, it will sync all the playlist data, along will all your songs to the cloud. Then you can selectively download the tracks or playlists you want on your Air, while being able to add more tracks in the future.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi everybody,

I am in the process of finding the ideal computer setup, and I would like to know the following: is it possible to put on the mba a "minimal" iTunes library. I am asking because I have a huge iTunes library on my macbook (140 gb), and the mba's hard disk would be almost full when I would carry al that music with me. So my question is if it is possible to upload and keep synchronized a limited number of playlist, not disimilar to the way an ipad can automatically keep synchronized a number of playlists without having to carry the entire library... Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Frenetic
One method is to keep your favorite music on your internal drive, so it's available when you're mobile, with the remainder stored on an external drive, yet all within the same library.

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations

Phil22

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Hi,

A quick question regarding this iTunes library split. I have got my external hard drive with my films stored on it, I told iTunes to locate the films folder on my external hard drive and it imported fine and processed the artwork. When I removed the external hard drive and re-opened iTunes I had the exclamation marks for the films which was expected. The problem is the artwork disappears, even when I re-connect the hard drive it does not automatically update the film artwork. The only way I can get it back is by right clicking and going to Get Info. I don't want to have to do this for 300 odd films, am I doing something wrong or is this what others have found?

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi,

A quick question regarding this iTunes library split. I have got my external hard drive with my films stored on it, I told iTunes to locate the films folder on my external hard drive and it imported fine and processed the artwork. When I removed the external hard drive and re-opened iTunes I had the exclamation marks for the films which was expected. The problem is the artwork disappears, even when I re-connect the hard drive it does not automatically update the film artwork. The only way I can get it back is by right clicking and going to Get Info. I don't want to have to do this for 300 odd films, am I doing something wrong or is this what others have found?

Thanks
Try closing iTunes and reconnecting the external drive. Then launch iTunes.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
The easiest solution may be iTunes Match, it will sync all the playlist data, along will all your songs to the cloud. Then you can selectively download the tracks or playlists you want on your Air, while being able to add more tracks in the future.

Agreed iTunes Match and the Air are made for each other.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I use iTunes Match and just stream everything - keep nothing on the device.

Phil22

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Many thanks GGJstudios it seems to be working now. Great being able to have my 30GB music collection on the air and my 600GB of film and TV shows on the external hard drive. Should make trips away more enjoyable if I run out of good books! Only wish the display was 1080p :(

Cheers

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
140GB worth of music???!!!!

I have a pretty huge collection of music and it is only about 60GB.

I would get a portable hdd to archive your music instead of carrying it around on one computer.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
140GB worth of music???!!!!
That's actually a moderately-sized collection to many. Some have terabytes of music.
I would get a portable hdd to archive your music instead of carrying it around on one computer.
That kinda defeats the portability idea. It's pretty effective to keep your favorite music on the internal drive with the less-listened-to music on an external that stays at home.

Phil22

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
Hi sorry another question regarding this iTunes library on the external hard drive. When I add new films to the external hard drive from my main computer (a windows based one if that makes a difference) and I plug it into my air is there an easy way to update the iTunes library on the air with the new films?

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi sorry another question regarding this iTunes library on the external hard drive. When I add new films to the external hard drive from my main computer (a windows based one if that makes a difference) and I plug it into my air is there an easy way to update the iTunes library on the air with the new films?
Yes, just add the folder where the films are located to your iTunes library. It will only add files that do not already exist in the library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.