"minimal" iTunes version on MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by frenetic, Jul 23, 2012.

1. frenetic macrumors regular

Hi everybody,

I am in the process of finding the ideal computer setup, and I would like to know the following: is it possible to put on the mba a "minimal" iTunes library. I am asking because I have a huge iTunes library on my macbook (140 gb), and the mba's hard disk would be almost full when I would carry al that music with me. So my question is if it is possible to upload and keep synchronized a limited number of playlist, not disimilar to the way an ipad can automatically keep synchronized a number of playlists without having to carry the entire library... Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Frenetic

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. frenetic thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but how could I automate this? As far as I can tell, you can only do that with ipads, ipods or iphones, not with other computers...

4. techocd macrumors newbie

The easiest solution may be iTunes Match, it will sync all the playlist data, along will all your songs to the cloud. Then you can selectively download the tracks or playlists you want on your Air, while being able to add more tracks in the future.

5. frenetic thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Techocd, that might indeed be a good solution...

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One method is to keep your favorite music on your internal drive, so it's available when you're mobile, with the remainder stored on an external drive, yet all within the same library.

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations

7. glen e macrumors 68030

Exactly what I do...one or two 150 song playlists on the MBA, rest of 5000 tune library on a $99 500g 3.0 USB hard drive.....

8. Phil22 macrumors member

Hi,

A quick question regarding this iTunes library split. I have got my external hard drive with my films stored on it, I told iTunes to locate the films folder on my external hard drive and it imported fine and processed the artwork. When I removed the external hard drive and re-opened iTunes I had the exclamation marks for the films which was expected. The problem is the artwork disappears, even when I re-connect the hard drive it does not automatically update the film artwork. The only way I can get it back is by right clicking and going to Get Info. I don't want to have to do this for 300 odd films, am I doing something wrong or is this what others have found?

Thanks

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try closing iTunes and reconnecting the external drive. Then launch iTunes.

10. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

Agreed iTunes Match and the Air are made for each other.

11. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I use iTunes Match and just stream everything - keep nothing on the device.

12. Phil22 macrumors member

Many thanks GGJstudios it seems to be working now. Great being able to have my 30GB music collection on the air and my 600GB of film and TV shows on the external hard drive. Should make trips away more enjoyable if I run out of good books! Only wish the display was 1080p :(

Cheers

13. stchman macrumors 6502a

140GB worth of music???!!!!

I have a pretty huge collection of music and it is only about 60GB.

I would get a portable hdd to archive your music instead of carrying it around on one computer.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's actually a moderately-sized collection to many. Some have terabytes of music.
    That kinda defeats the portability idea. It's pretty effective to keep your favorite music on the internal drive with the less-listened-to music on an external that stays at home.

15. Phil22 macrumors member

Hi sorry another question regarding this iTunes library on the external hard drive. When I add new films to the external hard drive from my main computer (a windows based one if that makes a difference) and I plug it into my air is there an easy way to update the iTunes library on the air with the new films?

Thanks

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, just add the folder where the films are located to your iTunes library. It will only add files that do not already exist in the library.