Minimal Macericks :?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by furycd001, Mar 11, 2015.

1. furycd001 macrumors member

furycd001

HI Guys

Is it possible to make a minimal version of mavericks :? Like uninstalling and removing all apps and everything else that I do not use.

The apps that I currently use are ADIUM, BRACKETS, FINDER, GOOGLE CHROME, ITUNES, IWEB, LIBRE OFFICE, PIXELMATOR, SPARROW, TEXT EDIT & VLC

I do not use anything else other than those apps and I have set my desktop to auto-login. Also I have already disabled spotlight, notifications bar & dashboard.

Many thanks in advanced.
    Furycd001...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sure, just remove any apps you don't really want. I'd avoid touching anything in the Utilities folder just because those might be needed, but you are not forced to keep them, if you really want to delete them.

3. furycd001 thread starter macrumors member

furycd001

I've already deleted all apps I don't use bar pre installed Apple apps. If I remember correctly you cannot delete pre installed Apple apps :? Also other than apps, can I delete or remove anything else :? Previously I removed laungage packs.

Furycd001

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This may be useful: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

5. furycd001 thread starter macrumors member

furycd001

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

I'd also leave Preview installed as it's a really good catch-all viewer for various file formats.

7. furycd001 thread starter macrumors member

furycd001

Forgot to add that to my list of apps. Preview is very useful at times.

Furycd001...

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I don't think I'd use a nearly three year old guide to do anything computer-related.

Deleting files installed with the OS is a gamble. Something you do might seem OK today but a month from now who knows?

I turned up at a new customer's house once...he was having OS issues. Turns out he'd been deleting the apps he wasn't using: Mail, Calendar, and so on. Most folks are afraid to touch anything!

The thread question is understandable as since SSDs came out a lot of folks have gone backwards considerably in disk space...while the OS just keeps getting bigger.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're referring to the link I posted, while the initial post was 3 years ago, the information has been updated as needed to remain currently applicable.

10. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Just wondering why you want to do this? Not saying you shouldn't do it or anything, just curious!

I ask because I have a lot of stuff on my computer that I never use and never really thought about removing them.

11. jbarley, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

If by 'preinstalled' you mean apps such a Chess, Notes,iChat etc. then yes they can be deleted, in a Terminal window type the following...

rm -rf

note there is a space between rm and -rf and also after 'rf', now simply drag the app into the Terminal window and press Enter.

added note: if you are using a desktop system then you can safely get rid of the 'SleepImage' file which is usually as big as your installed memory.

Macericks sounds somewhat like a south American dance.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

When I'm on my Windows machine, I really miss preview and also quick look. Its something that really makes the Mac experience great.

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

No kidding. I find myself pressing the space bar more often than I care to admit.

Going the other way, I love the AeroSnap feature so much that I installed Better Snap Tool on my mac. But it's much more powerful and user configurable than AeroSnap, so I even miss those features on Windows.

14. furycd001 thread starter macrumors member

furycd001

Thank you so much for that terminal command :)

I would like to make my Mac more minimal because I use it purely for the same daily tasks each day and would like to have more space and speed. The apps I listed above along with preview & finder are absolutely all I use. The rest go untouched... Any suggestions to speed up boot times :? I've no start-up applications loading & I'm set to automatically login.

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

Sleeping the computer instead of shutting down is a great way to reduce boot times. Plus you don't have to wait for your applications to launch. Everything is already just as you left it

16. 808? macrumors 6502a

I couldn't get this to work, I see "Permission denied" in the terminal window.

I am logged in as an admin user.

17. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

sudo <command here>

18. 808? macrumors 6502a

Thank you Sir, worked like a charm!

19. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

No problem. Double check what you are doing though because sudo wont protect you from your mistakes or silliness and you can wipe out your entire drive with one command. :D