Minimal OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kristofers, Mar 18, 2010.

1. kristofers macrumors newbie

I need a NetBoot-image to run ASR from. Is it possible to build a minimal os x that only run the terminal?
    (I assume that it is a bit faster then loading the full os x)

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you build from the ground up anything is possible I guess.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just find a light version of Linux if all you want is the command line...

4. kristofers thread starter macrumors newbie

Any suggestions about how to make it happen? Can I use some tool to strip a preinstalled os down and then make it a NetBoot-image?

Does a light version of linux have ASR support, and can I make a linux in to a NetBoot-image?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Why do you need the Terminal from OS X when there are other UNIX terminals around which have no baggage at all (meaning a full fledged OS X)?

And as jessica said, you need to program it yourself, if you really need Mac OS X.

What ASR support are you talking about?

Btw, you can [​IMG] via the [​IMG] button, and multi-quote via the [​IMG] button.

6. kristofers thread starter macrumors newbie

Unix i okay I guess. Can you give me an example of an UNIX system that have ASR-command and that I can make a NetBoot-image of please?

Is there more then one ASR support for OS X? I would like to use ASR for restore an multicast image from my os x server.

(Sorry about the multipost)

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since this is your project I'm going to let you do the research for it. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you can't find a Linux distro that has what you're looking for, rebuilding OS X to your specifications is going to take an impractical amount of time and effort.

8. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

You can get a minimal OSX from here http://www.freebsd.org/ :)

Though I thinik the ASR utils for this distro are for Windows automated system recovery.

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Can you describe in detail what it is you are trying to accomplish from the time you switch on the target machine until you are "done"?

I'm only guessing, but it kinda sounds like you want to net boot OS X and restore software Apple software from a server? Is this on every boot or simply to rebuild one of your machines from time to time?

10. kristofers thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I am trying to do. Boot the client on netboot "minimal" os x in a terminal mode and use apple software restore to reinstall the client using a multicast image.
    Today I am using a normal os x netboot to run asr, it takes a wile for the client to boot on the large normal os x netboot image. So my through was to slim it down in some way.

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Why not skip asr and make your netboot your "real" os image and mount a folder containing the apps after you boot up?

12. kristofers thread starter macrumors newbie

Like a NetInstall? The only problem is that I need multicast to deploy the image on 25 clients at once.

13. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

If you're really keen on stripping OS X down to the barebones then you need to look up launchd for starters.

14. live4ever macrumors 6502a

You could use Disk Utility to 'Restore' an image of the OS X Snow Leopard install DVD to a USB flash drive (8GB min.) or Firewire drive, boot from that and go to Utilities>Terminal in the menu.

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It's called Darwin, a fully compliant UNIX '03 without the Mac GUI. It is supported by Apple and the opensource community.

16. kristofers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats my melody! :)
    Thank you.

I will give it a tray.

17. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

I knew Darwin was open source, I didn't realise it came with the Apple specific bits like asr as well, but I see it's on the list of Darwin commands. Learn something new every day.

18. larkost macrumors 6502a

Just create a NetBoot set with either System Image Utility (part of the MacOS X Server Admin Tools... free download, not MacOS X Server license required), or if you are using it use DeployStudio to create one.

I know you are thinking that these are too heavy-weight for what you are doing, but the thing you don't know is that when NetBooted the computer only pulls down what it needs to work, when it needs to use it. So by making a smaller image you are not really saving much, if any, bandwidth.

I know this from long work on this. I do have an idea to create a EFI NetRestore program, but that is only going to happen if the contracting job I have now does not become permanent as they are talking about (50/50 in my opinion).