Minimal XR Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bthompson, Nov 21, 2018.

1. bthompson macrumors regular

hi there! I have a XR that I am learning to love, the size and weight have taken some getting used to. I am looking for a thin case.

Anyone tried Peel or Totallee? I have purchased the spigen liquid armor and it’s too bulky. I am currently using this one and it’s not bad. I’d like a minimal case with a good screen protector. The screen protector the store put on doesn’t go edge to edge so there is a lip around it. Any advice or recommendations?

(TORRAS [Love Series] iPhone XR... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GWCTL74?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf)

2. robrobrobro macrumors newbie

I haven't tried Peel, but IMO Caudabe makes the best slim case, and they are 35% off right now. Less colors to choose from, but the fit is absolutely perfect, and the texture has somewhat better grip than the others. Tozo is cheapest, but I feel like the quality is worse. I had one on my 8+ and the first XR case I got was Tozo. Both felt loose around the bottom edge of the case.

3. bthompson thread starter macrumors regular

Will a caudabe case provide any drop protection for the back glass?

Are there full screen protectors that cover the notch?

4. tops2 macrumors 6502

If you're going for the Caudabe Veil, its mostly for scratch protection.

Caudabe Sheath is supposedly drop rated. Its thicker than the Veil but thinner than the Synthesis. There's people's experiences here of dropping the phone in the Sheath and the phone still works fine. But it is still a thinner case (but thicker than Veil), so not everyone is convinced is really drop rated to 6.6ft. From what I gather, most mention the Sheath has good grip. It sounds like a lot of people really like this case. I personally never owned a Sheath for any of the iPhones, but finally ordered on Sunday night. Can't wait till it gets here! :)

Caudabe Synthesis is their thickest case and also has drop protection. There's ribs on the side to help with grip. But sounds like this may be too bulky for your preference?

5. lyceumHQ macrumors 65816

lyceumHQ

6. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 68000

StaceyMJ86

I have a X and use this brand of Screen Protectors. It completely covers the notch and the screen. I also have a rear glass protector on the back for when I want to use my phone almost naked.

[​IMG]

The rear protector is glass and doesn’t go all the way to the edge, but it do go fully around the camera lip and is compatible with every case (the edge do not come up from the case)

[​IMG]

7. Ketsjap macrumors member

Ketsjap

Looking for a nice minimal case drives me crazy.

At the moment I have the Spigen Liquid Crystal. I find it too bulky/rubbery. It adds too much heft.

The hard plastic frosted options of some brands (Totallee, Peel, Caudabe) seem thinner. And maybe clear frosted looks awesome on my Blue XR.

But the customer service of Caudabe suggested I choose the Lucid Clear, because it’s totally clear and offers better drop protection.

BUT I’m wondering if this option is more like the Spigen Liquid Crystal I already have. Same goes for the clear options of Totallee and others: are these clear cases thicker and more rubbery than the frosted ones?

8. lyngo macrumors 6502a

I went with 40% a leather case from Sena. They have quality stuff. I would have gone amazon or with a silicon case, but it sticks to my pocket and becomes more of a chore to remove phone and put inside pocket back in.

9. aakshey macrumors 68000

aakshey

10. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

The Lucid Clear is not rubbery TPU. Will never "yellow" over time. It's a bit slippery but I love it. Have it on my Max and had it on my previous iPhones as well.

11. Ketsjap macrumors member

Ketsjap

So it's a hard case? Is it thin?

But not as thin as the Veil, I assume?

12. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

Hard case. Thicker than Veil and Sheath. Extremely durable and Crystal clear. I have all three of them.

13. lyceumHQ macrumors 65816

lyceumHQ

Would you mind posting some pics?

14. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

Don't have it on ATM. Out today. Maybe tomorrow.

15. PeytonT123 macrumors member

Just got the Caudable sheath....I love it. It’s not the most minimal case out there but seems to be the best balance of something minimal that still offers protection.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2018 ---
    I got this one and love it. It covers the notch, and the black border doesn’t cover up the camera/sensors/etc....the border has little areas carved out where the sensors are.
    https://www.amazon.com/OMOTON-Cover...ncoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=oh_aui_i_d_rec_o0_img

I had an iCarez 2.5 before this, and the quality was great but there were areas all along the edges that had adhesion issues and you could see the streaks of where they weren’t sticking.

16. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

Another vote for the Caudabe Sheath. If you want a minimal case that'll actually provide some protection, that's the one to get. The Peel and Totallee type of cases won't do much for your phone if you drop it.

17. bthompson thread starter macrumors regular

Just got the caudabe sheath. The best case I’ve used thus far, I’ve gone through 4. It is excellent. Slim, good grip, and nice protection. I’m keeping it