Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spontida

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Hey! So I'm looking for a nice case for my iPhone 7.. I have cracked the screen twice while having one of the Apple cases, and since this time I have to pay a heavy fee I need something that actually protects me. Or could it be that I didn't have a screen protector so it was easier to break the glass?

Thanks

medulla

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
Hey! So I'm looking for a nice case for my iPhone 7.. I have cracked the screen twice while having one of the Apple cases, and since this time I have to pay a heavy fee I need something that actually protects me. Or could it be that I didn't have a screen protector so it was easier to break the glass?

Thanks

Honestly it has to be one of those 2:

https://rhinoshield.io/pages/crashguard

http://mod-3.com

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
There’s no minimalist protection if you’ve already cracked the screen twice with Apple cases. The Apple cases are generally really good. Screen protectors do help but depending on the scenarios, it might not make much of a difference.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
rhino shield makes great cases. I am currently expecting the caudabe synthesis either today or tomorrow for my 8 plus. They are now rating it to 9.8 feet of drop protection in a very small profile

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
rhino shield makes great cases. I am currently expecting the caudabe synthesis either today or tomorrow for my 8 plus. They are now rating it to 9.8 feet of drop protection in a very small profile

That's interesting, because their 7+ version doesn't make that claim. I wonder if its the same case or if they made any significant changes to get it to pass the drop test?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016

Yes, I agree. I just saw a new product from them that lets you customise the case with everything you may want or not. Looks solid.

Reactions: AE14

MC355

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
I recommend the Speck candyshell grip. I've had it on my 6 plus, and dropped it several times without any issues. Now I'm using the 7 plus version. And add a screen protector and this is a very protective case without being too bulky

581292c65ab36360f46962eb99596074.jpg

dfnj123

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2007
New York, New York
I recommend the Speck candyshell grip. I've had it on my 6 plus, and dropped it several times without any issues. Now I'm using the 7 plus version. And add a screen protector and this is a very protective case without being too bulky
Just a heads up. Speck retired the Candyshell Grip and now sells a successor called the Presidio Grip. It has a similar design and offers similar protection while being thinner. I’d probably recommend going for Presidio over the last of the Candyshells retailers have in stock.

http://www.speckproducts.com/apple/...presidio-grip-iphone-7-cases/IP7-PR-GRIP.html

MC355

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Just a heads up. Speck retired the Candyshell Grip and now sells a successor called the Presidio Grip. It has a similar design and offers similar protection while being thinner. I’d probably recommend going for Presidio over the last of the Candyshells retailers have in stock.

http://www.speckproducts.com/apple/...presidio-grip-iphone-7-cases/IP7-PR-GRIP.html
That is true. I have the Presidio Grip on my Samsung S8+. Guess comes down to preference but I like the candyshell grip more, why I bought it for the IP7+. Amazon sells both for the iPhone 7+ BTW

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Honestly the Apple leather case is one of the best options out there for a minimalist case. I never use my 6 Plus without a case, and 99% of the time I'm using the leather. After three years of daily use, the body and screen on my phone are still flawless, save for a tiny scratch on the plastic between the glass and metal where the case doesn't protect the phone next to the Lightning port.
[doublepost=1509135894][/doublepost]Honestly the Apple leather case is one of the best options out there for a minimalist case. I never use my 6 Plus without a case, and 99% of the time I'm using the leather. After three years of daily use, the body and screen on my phone are still flawless, save for a tiny scratch on the plastic between the glass and metal where the case doesn't protect the phone next to the Lightning port.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
Looking for super thin flexible tpu case. Recs?
[doublepost=1509163322][/doublepost]
Honestly the Apple leather case is one of the best options out there for a minimalist case. I never use my 6 Plus without a case, and 99% of the time I'm using the leather. After three years of daily use, the body and screen on my phone are still flawless, save for a tiny scratch on the plastic between the glass and metal where the case doesn't protect the phone next to the Lightning port.
[doublepost=1509135894][/doublepost]Honestly the Apple leather case is one of the best options out there for a minimalist case. I never use my 6 Plus without a case, and 99% of the time I'm using the leather. After three years of daily use, the body and screen on my phone are still flawless, save for a tiny scratch on the plastic between the glass and metal where the case doesn't protect the phone next to the Lightning port.
Wish they would make a silicone/leather case that covers the bottom

Reactions: AE14
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.