Minimalist iPhone problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by prother1, Oct 14, 2014.

1. prother1 macrumors newbie

So I have this iMagnet car mount.

It's the perfect minimalist mount. Except for the fact you have to put a metal plate either behind your phone case or stuck directly on the phone (which I don't mind doing). Problem is the plate is supposedly about .3 - .4 mm thick.

I hear you all saying, "but prother1, why is this a concern?"

I'll tell you why. It's because I'm looking to getting a minimalist case for my 6+. Looking into this 4 dollar case from eBay. Slick looking, .2mm TPU case, mainly just for grip. The perfect minimalist case.

'That's great, prother1," you might say. "so what's the problem?"

The metal magnetic plate is twice as thick as the case! It is clearly going to bulge out like a giant bruise from behind the slim, healthy, smooth backing of the 6+.

What must I do to allow for my minimalist magnetic mount and ultra-slim case to exist in harmony?

Potential ideas:
    1. Disassembling 6+, shoving plate behind backing, reassemble 6+ (NOT doing this)
    2. A different case that already has metal built into it? Only one I know of is this, which is bulky and pricey (somewhat)
    3. Some type of sticky glue-like magnetic substance I can smear on the case to replace the plate?? Do these even exist?
    4. Sanding down the plate so it is thinner??
    5. ??
    6. Profit

Discuss.

2. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

3. cchunk macrumors 6502

i have this exact car mount that im using for my 5s and ill use it for my 6+ when it arrives. Personally, i didnt bother trying to do all of that. i just stuck the plate on the back(outside) of my black phone case and you cant really tell its there. i had the same issue you did

4. Mr Hands macrumors regular

It'll hold. I have the same mount and used it with my old iPhone 5, stuck the plate between the rubber and plastic parts of my Otterbox. The magnets in those mounts are very strong. Held my phone just fine in a semi driving on Michigan and Wisconsin roads lol..

5. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

Thx.

How about the suction cup portion. Do you think it's good for textured type dashboards? I currently have an iottie mount that has an excellent suction cup for the dash mount.

6. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I love these mounts, but hate cases so can't use them:(.

7. urda Suspended

urda

Ram Mounts are infinitely better than this. No modification to your phone or case, just grips it directly.

8. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I've looked at them, too pricey I'm afraid it won't be worth it. My cheapo iOttie OneTouch actually works real well.

9. Mr Hands macrumors regular

For textured dashboards the iMagnet and iOttie mounts suction cup portion sure does work pretty well. They've got that micro gel super sticky stuff that helps fill the peaks and valleys of the dash. Can't say it'll work on all surfaces of course, but they do work well most of the time. I've got an iOttie mount for my iPad and WOW... that thing will really stick!

What I love about the iMagnet is how effortless it is. I hate having to use two hands to put a phone on/in a mount. I can deal with it if I have to, and of course the iPad mount requires two hands, but iMagnet discontinued their larger mount for iPads so the iOttie will suffice. Can't use a case for that one though which sucks.

10. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

11. prother1 thread starter macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

This ^ is a picture of one of those ram mounts. One, they are ugly. (Sorry.) Two, they are 52 bucks!

It is indeed very sticky. I'm not exactly sure how it does it, but it feels almost like some sort of animal like a leech or something that is sucking onto whatever you attach it to. Good thing is there is no adhesive or anything that can come off and leave a residue, it is all one piece and part of the suction. So if you remove it and it gets dusty or dirty or what have you, you can rinse it off and it's basically brand new. Still sticking like a champ on my textured dashboard.

Oooh, very clever Joe. See this is why I post to macrumors, I knew you guys would deliver. I'm sure they probably have a thinner metal than that so I will give them a look. I think I heard of someone putting utility knife blades behind their case?

12. urda Suspended

urda

1) That's somewhat of a personal opinion, but it's STILL a lot cleaner then affixing some after-market magnet to your phone.

2) Yes they are a little on the price range, but they have great customer service and they are built like a rock. Seriously. Same company makes mounts for aviation and motorcycles. Not to mention they are made in the USA and can be used for other devices (and not just phones). Love mine.

13. prother1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree it is an opinion. I hope I did not offend you :)

So the entire point of this thread is moot since I decided I will most likely go with a thin leather case or potentially a rubber one. So I'll keep the metal plate underneath and since the case will be a little thicker it won't be noticeable.

For anyone reading this thread, something to try would be magnetic adhesive. I looked it up on amazon, it is basically what's on the back of fridge magnets that you can stick to things.

14. urda Suspended

urda

Oh no of course not! I was attempting to show why those mounts worked for me :)

15. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

(Pointless reply on my part, but can't delete it!)

16. Kisey macrumors 6502a

If you're looking for a "magnetic tape", I use this: http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=RnLyf%2bIy6kHmYlTFx3Fyrw== for my iPad. I put a strip inside my case so when I flip my smart cover open, it stays put and doesn't flop around (the magnets in the smart cover make a connection with the emi absorber). If you search magnetic tape or emi absorber in the iPad accessories forum, you'll see others using it for the same purpose. Not sure if or how well it'll work in your case, but just wanted to throw it out there.