Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Screen-Shot-7-1-250x246.jpg
Apple is currently offering popular minimalist puzzler Blyss as its Free App of the Week on the App Store.

Blyss combines a unique puzzle mechanic with serene and calming aesthetics, some of which have a Monument Valley-style vibe. The game itself involves white blocks laid in a formation against varied backgrounds and themes, with each block presenting a certain number of dots.

These dots indicate how many times they must be covered with a swipe along the game field, and all of the squares must be eliminated to complete the puzzle, but a danger lurks in removing a square that is vital to completing the level. The App Store Editor's notes are as follows.

Some dots take one swipe, some take two. But one thing's for certain: If you want to clear every puzzle, you have to think through your moves. Failure's inevitable in the high-stakes Endless mode - but trust us - you won't mind restarting.
Blyss launched in July 2016 as Apple Editor's Choice on the App Store in 78 countries. According to MacRumors sister site TouchArcade, "Blyss appears to achieve that sweet spot of being complex and in-depth, while still having a zen-like vibe".

Usually $1.99, the game can be downloaded for free on iPad and iPhone over on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Minimalist Puzzler 'Blyss' is Apple's Free App of the Week

zohaali146

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2016
The graphics are good but what is it with swiping dice like squares? is it a match three game ?

Comment

bennyf

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
USA
Not a match 3 game at all, imo. It's a minimalist layering type game. It seems there are always multiple solutions, but the difficulty comes in because the number of wrong solutions rises quickly with difficulty. And there's no undo.

Looking at the reviews, makes you realize that when people get something for free they are actually harsher in their reviews than when they've paid for an app. Kind of counter-intuitive. There are exceptions, but the 'free app' crowd's reviews stink of entitlement mentality.

If you like puzzle apps, download this one and rate them! For me this is a no-brainer 5-star app at the free price point. Not quite the kind of app I'd have paid $2 for, but it's a good value even then.

Reactions: starpuma
Comment

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
The graphics are good but what is it with swiping dice like squares? is it a match three game ?

The goal is to remove all the tiles by clearing all their dots. Every move, you remove one dot from your selected tiles. The challenge is to not leave a tile stranded or have only two left (invalid move to begin with).

Comment

ackmondual

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
ios6 or higher! Yah! I can continue playing on ios7 and ios8! :cool:

The goal is to remove all the tiles by clearing all their dots. Every move, you remove one dot from your selected tiles. The challenge is to not leave a tile stranded or have only two left (invalid move to begin with).
hmm, sounds like that peg board game where you move by jumping the pegs (a la Checkers), removing jumped over pegs, and to have 1 peg remaining.

Comment

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Fun, but challenging. There ought to be an undo button though. When you are one swipe away from being left without a move, you still have to do it before being told that you've failed.

Comment

ackmondual

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
A lengthy write up ended up being a sort of "mini-review", so may as well link that here...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/223837/item/5315399#item5315399

Fun, but challenging. There ought to be an undo button though. When you are one swipe away from being left without a move, you still have to do it before being told that you've failed.
Overall, nicely done. However, a few things that bug me:
1) When you goof early on in a large layout (mis-swipe, or just a "derp" moment), you have to wait for all the remaining tiles to turn black, one-by-one, before the menu screen returns. Waste of time!

2) I've had glitches where I start a timed level, and it won't accept ANY input. I have to wait out the timer to continue.
3) Another glitch where I was able to clear a singleton tile.

Comment

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2015
April 3rd app update added the ability to resume for free after a mistake, if you "just" watch a 30 second ad movie. ;-) And often the normal "pay a few virtual coins to resume" button won't even be there anymore, making the new ads the only way to resume playing after a mistake. And often these annoying 30 second ads end with auto-opening the app store.

It's obnoxious as hell but I am SURE I would have done the same thing if I was the author and had a million new users to earn ad revenue from, so I am not surprised. ;-)

And I am sure the author is reading this. Hi. Nice game. Very annoying that there is no undo though...

Last edited:
Comment

ackmondual

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
April 3rd app update added the ability to resume for free after a mistake, if you "just" watch a 30 second ad movie. ;-) And often the normal "pay a few virtual coins to resume" button won't even be there anymore, making the new ads the only way to resume playing after a mistake. And often these annoying 30 second ads end with auto-opening the app store.

It's obnoxious as hell but I am SURE I would have done the same thing if I was the author and had a million new users to earn ad revenue from, so I am not surprised. ;-)

And I am sure the author is reading this. Hi. Nice game. Very annoying that there is no undo though...
Does the app really have over a million users? That ain't bad. However, at least for freemium models, 4 to 5 million users is the base that you need to sustain itself.

And they changed the overhead view to isometric? I think I'd prefer overhead. Also, having to deal with ads... that's another reason for me to never update this app again :(

Comment

SteveJobzniak

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2015
@ackmondual I don't know, but they were the free app of the week so I just guessed at least a million people around the world would hear the news via friends and would download it. Perhaps not. Who knows.

Reactions: ackmondual
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.