Minimalist seeks advice??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by realitystops, Jul 31, 2012.

1. realitystops macrumors regular

realitystops

Hello,

On receipt of new MBP (type to be decided) I would like to pare down the OS package to only contain the functions that I use. This is a function of my personality and engineering background. The latter requiring the design to function efficiently first and be an elegant design second. As is usually the case anyway.

So question 1/ Is there any performance enhancement inherent in reducing the content of the OS package, including unused applications?
    2/ Is there a reverse case scenario where this action actually impairs performance?
    3/ If I am replacing the original HDD with a 6G SSD would that be the optimum time to accomplish my goal?
    4/ What would be the least likely to fail methodology, hypothetically of course?

Thank you

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

4) Not worrying about it at all. The only major performance gain you will see will come as a result of installing an SSD, not from "reducing the content of the OS package."

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Removing features, components to OSX is not easily done and not recommended and will not really improve performance, in fact you could be introducing instabilities and causing more problems then solving.

OSX does a great job at managing resources, I'd let OSX do its job, so you can do your job.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The time when little operating system overhead mattered is long past. That really can just be ignored.

Generally what is installed on OSX or Windows does not matter for speed anyway (unless and HDD gest full and fragmented). The only thing that matters is what is running. Just don't allow every little ******** app to autostart and it cannot hog any resources.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Unless you are planning on hacking the OSX installer code, it aint happening that easily! Also, why would you even want to do this...OSX is written as it is..if there are apps you don't use...don't use them...all are very useful tho...there are no AOL subscription apps like PC days of old....its all there for a reason.

I don't understand the optimum time/ssd question. It took me about an hour to replace the HDD in my Mac Mini....I think a MBP is easier to tear down...so it shouldn't take long, you just need the right tools and the guts to tear open your machine ;)

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

If you really care about efficiency and design you'll leave it alone.

And if you care about your time, you'll leave it alone.

And what do you mean by "functions that I use"? You can set some processes that would otherwise run in the background or on a schedule Apple set to run manually, but why?

There is certainly some stuff you could chuck without ill effect, but you'd save some few megabytes of space. Not worth your time.

But if you're not that into efficiency, and just like to tinker to see what'll happen, go for it. You could start with MacPilot or a similar utility that makes it easier to access parts of the Finder and OS and mess with the settings. Turning off some of the eye candy, like animations, probably won't make things more efficient but perhaps it would fit your aesthetics. You could also chuck various applications that get installed if you don't use them. But reinstalling them can be a pain; you might have to get Pacifist and go to work. Again, not efficient.

And by the time we get to 10.10 or so we'll have Mac iOS and you won't be able to change ANYTHING so now's your shot ;) .

7. realitystops thread starter macrumors regular

realitystops

Good replies - my response

Hello again.

Mechanically I have few fears in replacing HDD with SSD. It was more of a software question. Could I use this change to my benefit installing a slimmer package.

I think it is not a 'code' type of reduction more an annoying UI reaction. For example having the dock appear when launch pad is preferred or visa versa.
    Having a games central when I really do not game!

Maybe I am looking to personalise my new kit in a way that I have not been able to do before - hey I can try (dream). Yes I am sure now of the question.

Is it possible to reduce the glitter stuff to give me a lean, bare sort of interface that really suits me?

8. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Don't put any icons on your desktop. Remove unwanted app shortcuts from your dock. Make a folder, and only put the alias pointers for programs you consider essential in there. Drag that folder to the right side of the dock to install it there. BAM! Nice, clean, simple, customized for you. And if you ever want more, it's all there for you.

And if clutter and disorganization overwhelm your sensibilities, do not, I repeat DO NOT run a program called "LaunchPad". Shudder.

9. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I haven't installed ML yet, but shouldn't there be an option in the install process for which languages are installed?

10. clumeng macrumors member

Go to the View Menu in System Preferences and click on Customize. Form there uncheck every preference you don't want to see - heck uncheck them all and it's a clean UI where there is no interface with the system if that suits you.

Hide the dock and then it's not there.

If it annoys you that a couple of MB of code for game center is in the OS behind the scences and you want it out I'm not sure if there is any way out of this - maybe Linux?

11. realitystops thread starter macrumors regular

realitystops

The answer I believe

Many thanks. I think that about covers it ;-) ;-)

12. stuaz macrumors 6502

In comparison to Windows I find OS X very clean and un-cluttered.

Just remove a few apps from the dock at the bottom and don't have any icons on the desktop and I think you will get that minimalist look you want...

I am guessing you are coming from a Windows background? If so, I will think you find it very minimalist in comparison straight out the box.