Minimalist WordPress theme feedback

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Darran, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Darran macrumors member

2. HostV macrumors newbie

I have to say that I like it. But why is it colorless? I think that you need to work on it. Add at least one color

3. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Grey is a color. It's as minimal as one can get if they're a minimalist!

:cool:

I'm kiddin'.

Seriously, adding in a contrasting color would make the page look more friendly and warm which helps attract visitors. I have a great idea, continuing your minimalist theme - you know the hover color you're using for links? Make that color the default link color including your menu links, then for the hover use something like this #6f2f00 which is about twice as dark in hue but in the same family (complimentary).

Very simple change in your CSS file, and still completely in line with your original concept.

Truuuuuust me!

-jim

4. Darran thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Jim for the suggestion, just tried it and it didn't worked too nicely for me. And yes, gray is a color.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Are you against adding any other contrasting colors at all, in any form?

6. Darran thread starter macrumors member

No not at all, just that it didn't sat well with me :)

7. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

That's cool.

Currently, and I mean this respectfully, in my opinion based on reviewing a lot of sites here and my experience, your site really is monotone in nature which users often find oppressive in nature, difficult to navigate (as links don't stand out well enough) and even boring. Even if the content and theme isn't - which is true in your case. Well, here goes, since you did ask us "how to better" you site, after all...

Suggestion #2:

Convert "LimeTouch" at the top to an image and add a shadow effect, bevel and slight contour. Make it pop out. Add "text-decoration: underline" to all anchor links both normal and hover so they stand out without any color addition. Add a "Find" button on the right of the search box - do not rely on JavaScript for the form submit. Allow larger avatars, i.e. at least 75x75 but 150x150 would really make each submssion entry pop and be distinguishable from others. And your layout is perfect for converting to a liquid layout with minimal pain - maybe make 85% of the page the content area and use a 15% darker margin color (border) set with either a simple gradient in the black/gray family or a dark solid gray you use now or contrast solid color you can come up with - so as to frame your content area (at least left/right if not top/bottom). Cool, eh?

If you don't like any of these suggestions you might, at this point, please add a hint or two as to what you might like - be general, we'll get specific, so we can post suggestions that don't make it boring for those following this thread if we keep throwing out blind suggestions and you keep simply saying yea or nay, heh! This isn't an angry reply, honest. Just being truthful, but helpful at the same time, and always keeping in mind your original design. Thanks! :)

-jim

8. Darran thread starter macrumors member

I would take into consideration your suggestions especially the underline links because that is what might appeal to my site without throwing off my original design. As for images, I do not intend to go there because what this theme thrives on is simplicity, minimalism and speed. I want people to come to this theme and zoom, they get what they want.

The search does not need JavaScript to submit. The background only changes as part of an effect I threw in. Only comments posting are using AJAX but if you are impatient, it works without it too. :)

Thanks for your feedback. I will have a look when I get back today.

9. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Clean and crisp with a great emphasis on typography and content, I love it.

10. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

It's a lovely site and these are all minor considerations, so bravo on the design and hope you enjoy tons of happy users and online success! Cheers.

-jim

11. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Don't listen to these people talking about colours! Minimalist is good.

I really like it. Plain jane, but with AJAX and neatness.

Well done!

12. dwcasey macrumors member

color

I like the single column and monotone look...but :) A little color could help. Whether you highlight thread names, maybe some blockquotes or something to add a little pop. It's hard to tell where one section ends and another begins.

Grats on WP development. I tried that and did not succeed :rolleyes:

13. Darran thread starter macrumors member

I would love to add in some colors, but with the look of MiniMoo, I really can't think of any color combination which would still put the theme within it's own identity, thus the monotone look.

14. harveypooka macrumors 65816

No! Colours are the work of...of...the Devil!

I like it. Monotone, focused, clear. I really like it.

Stay away from colours...evil! :p

15. HaGG macrumors member

16. Darran thread starter macrumors member

I just did a color change for readability, what do you think?

17. Renderz macrumors 6502

It gets my vote! Nice one. Often "simple" is the hardest thing to do.

18. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

its too minimal, it looks more like an RSS feed, which is hard to read and navigate since everything is the same. Theres virtually no seperation between the comments and the article, which is bad. At the very least make the area between the article and the comments a block of color, or make the comment text a light gray so theres no mistaking it for article text.

19. Darran thread starter macrumors member

I have made some changes and using some colors, hopefully it helps to separate the different sections.

20. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Your original is better - you should go back to what I suggested earlier, changing a few link colors, underlining, so you introduce ONE color into your theme. Or, back to the original and use underlining for links ONLY including hover.

-jim