Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kimchimonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
hi,

I'm just bought a new powerbook after much deliberation. I heard so many good things about OSX and I'm getting my feet wet. I'm coming from a windows environment so help me out.

My biggest annoyance has been the minimize function. I'm on a laptop so I like to use keyboard shortcuts. I minimize a window using apple-m. then switch to another ap using apple-tab. When I'm done using that app I apple-tab back to my original back, but the window is still minimized. I want to restore it using some keyboard shortcut. How can I do this? I saw that I could use hide instead, but I'd like to minimize certain windows and call them back up. This is very annoying that I have to click on the dock icon everytime.

thanks in advance.. cheers

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
The minimize function in OS X isn't really the same as it is in Windows. If you want to get an app out of the way in a manner similar to windows, instead of using apple-m to minimize a window to the doc, use apple-h which will instantly "hide" the app (and any of it's windows). You can use apple-tab the same way you are used to using it, but when you select the app that you previously had hidden, it will reappear like you expect, just as you left it before you hit apple-h.

The minimize function in OS X is more or less just a quick and dirty way to get a window out of the way to see what's behind it. There is a key stroke method to access a minimized window in the doc and maximize it, but it's more convoluted than it's worth and your much better off just using apple-h. It simple, direct, and does the same thing as the windows minimize command, only faster.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
kimchimonkey said:
hi,

I'm just bought a new powerbook after much deliberation. I heard so many good things about OSX and I'm getting my feet wet. I'm coming from a windows environment so help me out.

My biggest annoyance has been the minimize function. I'm on a laptop so I like to use keyboard shortcuts. I minimize a window using apple-m. then switch to another ap using apple-tab. When I'm done using that app I apple-tab back to my original back, but the window is still minimized. I want to restore it using some keyboard shortcut. How can I do this? I saw that I could use hide instead, but I'd like to minimize certain windows and call them back up. This is very annoying that I have to click on the dock icon everytime.

thanks in advance.. cheers

yeah i had the same problem too when i first made the switch...
how about hitting command+tab?
i'm not too sure if it's command but the one beside the alt/option button on your keyboard...

kimchimonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
awesome.. nice util. one of my other annoyances..
1) you can't cut files like in windows .. and paste them (to move). you can only copy files.
2) when selecting songs in itunes or other places. pressing the up button does not deselect one of the previous selections, but instead selects the song above.

kimchimonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
shift+arrow

argh.. who is the idiot who came up with the shift+arrow selection on the mac. its the most counter intuitive idea. Is there any way I can fix this?
I would use a mouse, but using a powerbook id prefer to keep my hands on the keyboard at all times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.