Minimize applications to the dock

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Trinimini, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Trinimini macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to the Mac and have been getting used to it quite nicely, but there's one thing that I peeves me just slightly. That one thing is that whenever I click somewhere that is off the application I'm using, it just disappears into the background and there's no minimized icon of it on my dock. Now if I hit the orange minimize button manually it will minimize off to the right side of my dock, but I would like to know if it is possible to somehow get the same thing to happen automatically when I click somewhere off the application I'm using.

This mainly annoys me on my MSN conversations. A lot of times, I've clicked on the video I was watching. Paused it to go do something and then when I was done watching the video and wanted to start chatting again, I find out that my friend had said something and I missed it. (My MSN dock icon only jumps up four times before sitting still).

Please help and thanks in advance.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm afraid not. You could switch to Adium, though. Among other merits, it uses Growl notifications, which can be customized to be as visible as you like. You can also set the dock icon to bounce constantly until you respond, although I suspect that will get annoying fast.

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I don't see how minimising it would help you here :confused:

FWIW I also use Growl so I can keep up with what people are saying while I do something else, and I know this isn't really what you asked but you can hit command M to minimise, which is slightly easier than hitting the yellow button.

But yeah there's nothing that'll really do what you want I'm afraid.