minimize button hides window, doesn't put it in dock?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macmee, Mar 31, 2009.

1. macmee Suspended

macmee

I love how in OSX you can go to a Window in the dock and click hide:
    [​IMG]

Instead of the window minimizing and taking up even more room on the dock, it just hides in the already existing icon (in this case the active window hides in the safari icon). When I click minimize on the actual window this happens:
    [​IMG]

Now Safari is taking up two spaces on my dock. Is there any way to make it so every time, no matter what the window is, if you click minimize or even exit, it hides the window as opposed to minimizing it and wasting a dock space?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

As said previously, command-H hides everything right away and as you said by right clicking in the dock. The other option is to click the safari menu then hide safari.

Obviously everything requires more than one click unless you use the keyboard shortcut.

4. macmee thread starter Suspended

macmee

Yes, but is there actually a way to accomplish this by changing what the actual buttons do?

Thanks,
    Dave

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, there is really no way of changing the button itself.

6. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I love hide also, and wish minimize = hide heh

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

If you are worrying about a single minimized window taking up too much space on your dock you should remove icons from your dock so it isn't so small. Either that or deal with pressing Command-H instead/Right click hide. ;)

8. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I don't think it's so much the space for me, but knowing I can click the appropriate app icon and there's my stuff! rather than a separate minimized window. but really, no big.

second, is closing out Mail for example by pressing the X same as cmd+H hiding? b/c the process stays open, just not sure.

9. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Just taking a guess here, but it's probably not possible because what would happen if you had more than one window minimized? Without placing them separately in the dock how could you only un-minimize the ones you want?

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

11. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

If you minimize a window and click the app icon in the dock it does open the minimized Window.

As for Mail, I'm pretty sure it will still check for emails at the regular interval because all it does is close the window to view new emails. If you click on the app in the dock it reappears.