Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshOohAh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Hello, I was wondering if there was a short key to press when your in a full screen such as a game. For example when I play Cod4, I often get messages on MSN or Skype and I need to physically exit my game to see or wait and hope the person is online when I get back.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
The default "minimize" key combination is Command (Apple) + M. But it may differ in CoD 4.

JoshOohAh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Generally speaking you can't minimize a full-screen application unless that "feature" is built-in. Try command-tabbing instead.

Well I could do it on my Windows side by pressing cntrl + tab. Well I guess I'll have to live with it. So much for user friendly.

Anyways command + tab doesn't work.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
So much for user friendly.

If you'd read the previous poster, you'd realize it has nothing to do with Macs. It isn't Apple's fault the software developer who ported CoD4 didn't put a simple minimize function into the fullscreen game. The only things I can think of are trying Command+H, Command+M, or F11 for exposé.

JoshOohAh

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
If you'd read the previous poster, you'd realize it has nothing to do with Macs. It isn't Apple's fault the software developer who ported CoD4 didn't put a simple minimize function into the fullscreen game. The only things I can think of are trying Command+H, Command+M, or F11 for exposé.

But on the Windows side alt tab or the windows key always minimizes it. So it can be Apple's fault for not implementing it.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
But on the Windows side alt tab or the windows key always minimizes it. So it can be Apple's fault for not implementing it.

No, it's not. It's the developer's fault for not building in OS X's widely known "Minimize" function into their program. Apple didn't code or port CoD 4 and provides the option of minimizing an application. Whoever did the port obviously didn't take advantage.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
No, it's not. It's the developer's fault for not building in OS X's widely known "Minimize" function into their program. Apple didn't code or port CoD 4 and provides the option of minimizing an application. Whoever did the port obviously didn't take advantage.

Perhaps he's insinuating Apple should've FORCED every developer's programs to comply?

If that's the case, honestly, we just differ there. Ports are often half-assed endeavors, particularly when they're not done by the original studio/publisher. Just how it goes. CoD 4 wasn't even done by the developers; it was done by Aspyr, an (often poor) porting studio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.