minimize keyboard, am i missing something?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i hate phones, Jul 22, 2010.

1. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

long time ipod touch user, new i phone 4 user... i feel a bit silly, but how the heck do i minimize the keyboard in apps such as the messaging app? i know i can exit out of the conversation and then go back in but it gets to be a pita and i would think there'd be an easy fix to this. i tried googling but only got stuff from like 2008...

forget about the damn dropped calls, minimize the friggin keyboard! ha totally kidding. :D

2. hryan4740 macrumors regular

hryan4740

I believe if you tap in the message section right above the keyboard it minimizes, or at least it does in some apps.

3. weespeed macrumors 6502

It doesn't in the SMS app. It really is annoying. I remember my 3GS you could..

4. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

In the built-in text-messaging app, you cannot minimize the keyboard. Not without exiting and re-entering the conversion. And to make matters worse, before iOS 4, you could simply exit and re-enter the app, which didn't make you leave the conversion and was actually faster and simpler than exiting and re-entering a conversation. But now that iOS 4 keeps the app in memory, you are forced to truly exit and re-enter the conversation.

I know this seems so minor, but as an iPhone user since Day 1, and this being the app I use most, by far, on my device, I've always found this annoying, especially from a company touted as a master of user experience design. And iOS 4 made it even worse.

5. i hate phones thread starter macrumors 6502a

so you used to be able to before iOS4? maybe that means they'll fix it? here's to hoping. it's something so minor yet sooo annoying. and seemingly easily fixable.

6. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

I've used iPhones for 3+ years. It has never been possible. Whoever thinks it has is remembering wrong, unless it was briefly that way in some minor patch and then changed back soon after in another minor patch. Because I update on most patches, and I am always and have always been annoyed by this.

7. headcheese macrumors regular

Just back out of the conversation you're in and then go back ;)

8. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

PITA is right.

What I do is I hit the "edit" button and the keyboard drops so i can view the conversation. Much quicker than exiting and going back in.

9. weespeed macrumors 6502

Maybe I'm remembering wrong. After I got biteSMS I neber used the stock app again. It really is annoying

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You have never been able to do that.

11. headcheese macrumors regular

Well actually no, they are both 2 button presses :)

Not true either. All you have to do it go back to your main screen, that has all the people you've texted, and then go back into the one that you want to go through. Don't have to close out the app within the dock at all ;)

12. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

I should have clarified. I'm on a 3G iphone with 4.0 iOS. So, I experience major lag when exiting/entering apps. Hitting 'edit' allows me to stay in the app and view the conversation. Otherwise, you are correct.

13. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

I don't think you understand. Yes, that's how you have to do it now. I'm saying that, before iOS 4, that method was the slower method of two choices. The faster method being, simply exit and re-enter the app. It's easier for me to press the home button and then the SMS icon, both of which are always in the same spot, than to press the "back" button, find the conversation I was in from the list, and click it to re-enter. Is it much different? Not really. But it is a little less efficient. But my preferred, more efficient method doesn't work in iOS 4 (not to mention, simply starting apps is slower in iOS 4).

14. headcheese macrumors regular

15. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

when was this? I've had all the iPhones and as far as I know it was never possible without exiting the convo...and hitting the edit button does NOT work either...once you hit cancel after edit the keyboard pops back up

16. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Yeah biteSMS allows you to minimize the keyboard; that's cool. I never knew you couldn't on the default app. Another reason to love biteSMS.

17. i hate phones thread starter macrumors 6502a

where is said biteSMS? i can't find it in the app store :confused:

let me guess... i need to jailbreak my phone in order to minimize my keyboard :(

18. tariqi macrumors newbie

It was possible in OS 2, but was changed in OS 3. Before OS 3, you could also tap the Send button to enter the text field if it was blank.

19. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Yeah unfortunately it is only available on Cydia.