Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hello there,

Bought recently a mac and there's something that kinda bugs me that I hope there's a fix, is there any way to minimize and maximize apps like in windows? Like if I want to minimize it I have to go all the way up to the left corner and click the yellow button or click cmd +m. I want to do it like in windows, the app stays in the dock even though its not minimized so when i want to switch I don't have to go to the mission control.I have tried the option "open on icon" and it works only for maximizing it, but it doesn't minimize it once the app is open and you click it.

Thanks in advance,

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Hello there,

Bought recently a mac and there's something that kinda bugs me that I hope there's a fix, is there any way to minimize and maximize apps like in windows? Like if I want to minimize it I have to go all the way up to the left corner and click the yellow button or click cmd +m. I want to do it like in windows, the app stays in the dock even though its not minimized so when i want to switch I don't have to go to the mission control.I have tried the option "open on icon" and it works only for maximizing it, but it doesn't minimize it once the app is open and you click it.

Thanks in advance,
I fail to see how minimizing things in OS X is substantially different from Windows. Personally, I don't bother trying to minimize - when I want something to go away, I use :apple:+H to hide it, instead. Minimize is only useful to me when I have an application with more than one window, and I want one of the windows gone but not all of them.

As for maximizing, OS X doesn't support Windows-style maximizing by design, but there are 3rd-party apps that can help. One that's been recommended by others is RightZoom.

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I fail to see how minimizing things in OS X is substantially different from Windows. Personally, I don't bother trying to minimize - when I want something to go away, I use :apple:+H to hide it, instead. Minimize is only useful to me when I have an application with more than one window, and I want one of the windows gone but not all of them.

As for maximizing, OS X doesn't support Windows-style maximizing by design, but there are 3rd-party apps that can help. One that's been recommended by others is RightZoom.

unlock-the-taskbar-580x358.jpg

(Ignore the "lock the task bar" and focus on the word document)

This is what I mean, in OS X when ever you maximize the app the icon disappears from the dock because its open, while in windows, its always there. Like I said I can click once to maximize but I can't click again to minimize.

SpetsnaZ99

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
UK
Have you tried these two options to hide or minimise a window?

Option 1 will minimise the window, option two will hide it.

min.jpg

Also:
This is what I mean, in OS X when ever you maximize the app the icon disappears from the dock

If an app is running in OSX it will be in the dock whether a window is open,maximised or minimised even if no window is open. As long as the app is still running it will appear in the dock.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
Is it time again for a new Mac user to complain about how app windows behave in Mac OS X? This is the way it works in Mac OS X, this isn't Windows.

When you minimize an app, it will either minimize into the app's icon on the left or into a separate window on the right of the dock. Clicking it brings it back to the original size and location.

Most people here agree that although different than Windows, Mac OS X handles application windows much better and you will get used to it.

DockMac

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
it deals with windows a little differently. the only alternative is to use full screen mode if your app allows it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.