Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gfrancetich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Hey, just wondering if it is possible to minimize Mail to the menu bar, similar to minimizing something to the task bar in windows... I think it would be nice to have up there, out of the way, but whatever.

Thanks

dlo604

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Vancouver
Hey, just wondering if it is possible to minimize Mail to the menu bar, similar to minimizing something to the task bar in windows... I think it would be nice to have up there, out of the way, but whatever.

Thanks

You could just hit the Red Circle, and it doesn't close necessarily. It just technically minimizes it to the dock.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I take it you are new to OS X.

On OS X lots of applications (including mail) will still continue to run when you close their windows, so there's no need to minimize. Just click on its icon in the dock to have it reappear instantly.

gfrancetich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2009
I'm not that new to OS X :)... I know that you can minimize it to the dock, but I like to use cmd+tab a lot, and having mail always open in that menu isn't the worst thing, but I was just wondering if you could minimize it to the menu bar...

dlo604

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2009
Vancouver
I'm not that new to OS X :)... I know that you can minimize it to the dock, but I like to use cmd+tab a lot, and having mail always open in that menu isn't the worst thing, but I was just wondering if you could minimize it to the menu bar...
You could set your TrackPad to act like a CMD + TAB. Drag four fingers on the TrackPad in a horizontal movement if you are using the new uMB or uMBP.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Ok sorry about that... :D

So you'd like the mail icon not to appear when you hit Cmd + Tab? Cmd + Tab is going to show all open apps no matter what. And I'm pretty sure you can't minimize anything to the menu bar. There may be a third party app that puts a mail icon up there, but it's still going to rely on mail being open, and therefore it'll still be there when you hit Cmd + Tab.

gfrancetich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Yeah, I know that too... but Mail will still be listed among all the running apps... thanks for the input though

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
I'm not sure if it'll also remove the icon from Cmd + tab (I suspect it does), but you could try this to remove mail's icon from the dock while keeping it running, and this to put various mail functions up in the menu bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.