Minimizing/restoring programs on a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pricklypete, Jan 4, 2010.

1. pricklypete macrumors newbie

I'm relatively new to a Mac and have a question regarding minimizing/restoring application Windows in Snow Leopard.

In Windows you can minimize an application using the icon on the taskbar, and you can restore it the same way. In OSX you can restore an application window using the icon, but you can not minimize it that way.

Is there a way to change this?

Thanks!

2. Corrado33 macrumors member

You could right click then click hide. Other than that, clicking on applications in the dock simply switches to the application.

Another handy way to minimize applications is to turn on "double click title bar to minimize" It's in the appearance settings in system prefs. Then you can simply double click the title bar and it'll minimize that window.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Taskbar? See below. Is that similar?

Or, you could just click the yellow button in the toolbar.

4. Corrado33 macrumors member

I believe he means that in windows, you can click on the application name in the... crap, I don't know what to call it, the bar on the bottom of the screen. You know, the thing that has the "start" button on it. You can click those application names (they are in boxes) to minimize AND maximize applications. Not in the "start menu" but on the.. I guess it's called taskbar. Whatever, at least apple freaking names their "bars". We have menu bars, title bars, and the dock. lol