Minimizing Scratches On PowerMac G5 Case?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mac57, Nov 23, 2011.

1. mac57 macrumors newbie

mac57

As you may have seen from my recent posts here, I bought a used PowerMac G5 Quad from eBay a month or so ago, and have been getting it up and running since then. It is now working extremely well and I am very pleased with it.

The machine is in pretty good cosmetic shape, but it does have a number of scratches and dings along the top of it. Clearly this machine had a hard life in its last job!

Does anyone have any good tips for minimizing the appearance of such things on a PowerMac G5's case? Thanks!

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Scratches are scratches. Short of painting the thing, you can't do much with it. They don't buff out of aluminum like they do plastic.

3. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Put few external HDD enclosures on the top of your G5 and dents/scratches will be invisible ;)

[​IMG]

P.S. above aren't the prettiest, pic is to illustrate idea only :)

4. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Yeah I second that, when I get my G5 in April, I'm going to use the top of the case as a home for my router and my external hard drive... Maybe if you don't like that idea put some sort of cloth/mat kind of thing on it?

5. mac57 thread starter macrumors newbie

mac57

Thanks all, I thought that would be the case, but wanted to consult our collective intelligence before giving up and going the "cover it up" route. Thanks again.

6. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

I wouldn't put anything over the G5 (like a cloth) just because the case acts as a giant heatsink, and doing so would help keep heat in. Any G5 user knows how much heat these things produce.

Just my opinion.

7. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Do you sit there staring at the scratches while you use it? You seem a bit obsessed over them if you want to cover it up. Just don't look at them if they bother you that much.

I myself keep 2 external drive on the top of my main Sawtooth G4 but certainly not to cover anything. I keep a spare mouse pad I have turned upside down and sitting under the drives. The mouse pad if perfect as it doesn't even go past the top edges and it also protects the top of my painted case. I even keep my iPod shuffle charger dock on it.