minimum amount of GB for Win 7 & Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hookemfins, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

I want to install Win 7 in Parallels on 10.8.4. What the minimum amount space needed? Programs I'll use are a combined less than 1 GB.

Also, Can Windows be run on an external HD under Parallels?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I's say 8GB and you'll be fine....We have an MBA with 4GB running Win7 and OSx and no problems at al, but it's the SSD that keeps the speed up there. 8GB should be fine.

3. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

If you asked about disk space -20GB minimum if you are too tight on disk space. 40GB recommended. RAM - 2GB for the VM and 8GB physical recommended. And yes you can place the Win7 Virtual Disk on an external drive and run the Parallels VM from there.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

My Bad....thought you meant ram...:eek:...60GB or thereabouts should be ample. The MBA has a 256GB SSD, but Win7 occupies a partition of 80GB...my fiancee uses it for a couple of games...that's it...everything else is OSX...I'd just make a list of the Windows apps I'd want to run before deciding on the size of the partition.

5. Hookemfins thread starter macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Yea I meant HD space. Should have mentioned that.

I have 256 GB HD MBPr and I don't want to get up to 50% filled within the first month. I have an external drive partitioned for TM and for windows.

Thanks for the answer.