Minimum CPU specs?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by garycurtis, Aug 25, 2011.

1. garycurtis macrumors 6502

My friend wants to sell me her iMac (Intel). Below is a screenshot of the About This Mac info button. I'm a retired guy, so this machine is just for fun and communication. Will this baby serve me well for 5 years or so?

Will it work on OS Lion?

Attached Files:

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Easily. It's a modern i5 machine, with 8GB of RAM.

3. zarathu macrumors regular

zarathu

Quite honestly... for fun and communication, I am still using a 2002 Powerbook 800. For grunt work and when I don't need to be out on the deck, I use my brand new iMac 2011.

So yeah not an issue at all.

4. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

That is a very powerful machine; it shouldn’t have any problems lasting 5 year for your needs.

It might be worth purchasing Apple Care if this machine doesn’t come with it. Apple Care will extend the warranty by two years so the machine will have a total of 3 years of warranty. This can be added at any time before the standard 1 year warranty runs out.

P.S. Lion will run fine, plus the next Operating System Apple with come up. Also is this the 27 inch imac? I'm asking because text is quite small on this model, not sure if you will have any problem with it.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's a 2009 27" quad i5, so Apple Care is out since it's over a year old.

6. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

I raised the question because of two circumstances. a) I don't know much. I'm a G-4 owner and not too passionate about 'all things tech'. No iPhone, no Blackberry. No ambition.

b) I've never seen the machine. My friend is giving it me because her company bought it for her and will buy her a newer one before long. She works for a legal software firm with 400 attorney clients. These folks is rich$$$$$.

I'm curious whether it has a second internal hard drive. She told me she bought an Apple Time Machine, but I'm guessing that is an ext. drive. I've got a 1Tb LaCie for backup and will use that. Currently attached via Firewire 400. I'm hoping the SATA cable will vastly improve I/O time for backups. What is is the data exchange rate for SATA cables?

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It only has one internal hard drive, but there is no external SATA port, so you are limited to firewire or USB 2.0.

8. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

Do you seriously ask that? Of course Lion will work on it.

9. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The guy says his current Mac is a G4 and that he doesn't keep up with new tech, so it's a very reasonable question.

10. err404 macrumors 68020

Given the difficulties in removing an HDD from an iMac, I feel that an external Time Machine disk makes more sense.
    Imagine this scenario; your iMac dies and you replace it with another Mac. If you have an internal disk you would need to open both machines to perform the swap. If the drive is external you can simply plug the drive into a different machine to recover your data.
    Don't worry about throughput to your TimeMachine device. It all runs in the background. USB 2.0 or FW will be fine.

11. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

Why do you assume it is a 27"? Because you know the features of various models?

I'm disappointed I can't throw an additional HD into the box. See, I told you my OS X intro to the Mac world was via a G4 tower. About the lack of a SATA port. Can that be added?

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Only the 2009 27" ever came with a 2.66 i5 quad core. The SATA port can't be added, but the way time machine works, you shouldn't need to backup massive amounts of data all the time anyhow. You can just leave your drive plugged in and let it back up automatically, and you'll never really notice it. The only time it should take a long time is the very first backup.

13. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. You guys have a wealth of knowledge, and I know that such savvy doesn't come cheap or easy. If you ever want to know anything about the 747, fire away. Including the reason the Twin Towers came down. (It's da BTU's boss. Da BTU's)

Two of the specs on the "About This Mac" intrigue me. I am guessing that the 4 cores of the Intel i5 supersedes a Dual Core 2? Is that right?

And what does "Processor Interconnect Speed -- 4.8 gT's" indicate? Will my neighbors now respect me?

Thanks again for your time.

14. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Yes, the quad core i5 is way faster, and a newer CPU, than a Core 2 Duo.

The Interconnect speed (or QPI) isn't anything to worry about however. It's an 'under the hood' thing.

15. Texran, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

Texran macrumors regular

Yes Lion will work, how much are they asking for it.
    Made in Shanghai China
    Also It appears it's under AppleCare until November 11, 2012.

16. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

17. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

It's the speed of the QuickPath Interconnect (QPI), it is a pathway connecting the core i processor and the X58 chipset. GT/s stand for number of gigabytes transfers per second.

It is something to keep an eye on when overclocking the processor in BIOS. Other than that, it is not really important to end users.

If you are my neighbour and know about QPI, I'd have respect for you by sharing a beer with you.