Minimum equipment needed for iTunes library to be played by Sonos with iMac off...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iansilv, Mar 1, 2010.

1. iansilv macrumors 6502a

I want to host my and my wife's itunes libraries so that they can be played on a Sonos without needing the iMac to be on. I am wondering- how can I do this? Will a simple NAS hard drive allow me to accomplish this? Or do i need a full server for it, like say a Mac Mini... Could I use a Windows Home Server? (I will be using that for MyMovies hosting, so it would be nice to setup the iTunes library to be hosted on it.)

Any and all direction would be very appreciated! :)

2. celticgrid macrumors newbie

celticgrid

You certainly don't need a full server. I have a Sonos setup served from an old Buffalo Linkstation NAS. Works a treat.

3. iansilv thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK cool- so a NAS is enough? Are you able to sort through separate libraries? It would be nice to have my music, her music, and then a separate library of children's songs we could conveniently play for our baby.

So I supposed a time capsule would work? Or would it have to be a full NAS?

4. Bossone macrumors member

I am looking a the Sonos system, but want to do more than itunes. Streaming Radio, maybe XM radio etc.

Those using this system, what do you like about it and what is the downsize?

5. Pilsbury1981 macrumors member

I am also looking into this and have heard that you can use a Time Capsule to play music when the mac is off but don't know how.